• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any information on Newborn Quaker Parrots

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully your oldest will start to take off soon. Good that he gained yesterday. He has a little bit of the domed head and hunch back that you sometimes see in stunted babies. However, at his age it may be reversible.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes I can see the air. I don't think I'd worry about it too much. I have had them rupture a air sac right next the crop but I don't think that is what you are seeing.
Yes, the left side esophagus baby made it. He turned out just as big and healthy as the others. Its a rare, but usually not problematic anomaly. I did let his owner know in case he ever needed vet treatment that involved gavage feeding or a tube going down the throat. He could be quick to aspirate if someone wasn't watching for it.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
What do you think I did wrong so I don't mess up the other two?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you think I did wrong so I don't mess up the other two?
I don't know for sure. I will say my first clutch I raised exactly like the directions on the Kaytee bag and they did fine but were smaller and progressed more slowly. Main things I learned to maximize growth is keep humidity up in order to maintain hydration. Start them with 20% rice cereal which allows me to feed thicker sooner which means more calories. Feed at least once a day until formula goes part way up the neck in order to gently but consistently stretch the crop. By the end of day one have them eating 10% of their body weight and feeding just a little thicker than you started. If that goes well, then weigh every day and adjust quantity fed based on the morning weight. Don't be afraid to up quantity fed to 12-14% of body weight when starting at an empty crop and assume that they grow as the day progresses. If they empty at some point during the day, weigh them again and re-adjust quantity fed to 10-14% of their new body weight. When in doubt, feed them. Don't make them go empty all the time between feeds. Feed when 20% of the last meal remains in the crop only letting them go totally empty at night for a couple hours when possible. Feed watery for the first few feeds and GRADUALLY increase thickness starting that first day. Continually readjust based on observations not the directions on the formula bag.

I'm not really a by the book breeder. I look at what weight gains parent fed babies produce and then experiment with what gets day 1 babies as close to that as possible. I make changes slowly but document as I go so I can make decisions faster based on data next time.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are the baby's doing? Have they improved their weight gains?

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
The two older ones have. The middle one is 7g and the oldest is 11g but they always think that they are hungry, even when their crop is full. They are both on two part water and 1 part formula.. do you think I should make the formula thicker?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they are digesting quickly, then yes. The older one is still gaining pretty slowly. He should have put on several grams since last weekend.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
The package says 1 and 1/3 water and 1 formula. Should I do 1 and 1?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, I definitely wouldn't mix thicker than recommended. You can try 1part formula to 1.75 parts water if 1:2 is digesting fast. See how that goes for a day and then try 1:1.5 the next day.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
Their weight is increasing by the day. Eyes are open on two and they are full of personality! I want to thank you so much for all the knowledge and help that you have given me. I seriously couldn't have done this without your help! Thank you! One last question is brooder temps. How much could I be decreasing?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good news. It's hard to advise online because increasing formula thickness too fast can kill them quick but not thickening it will stunt them which may be just as bad long term. And what works for one person often needs to be modified for another. I used to keep mine in the 92 degree range fore quite a while unless they were panting, acting fidgety and not snuggling in which case I'd drop it a degree or two a day until they start snuggling but still acting comfortable. I usually don't drop them to the low 80s until they are covered with pin feathers. Once they get a bunch of pins opening up I drop to about 78 and leave it there until they fledge and get moved to a cage, or they start acting too hot.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
It's so hard to find stuff online because it seems like everyone has different information. The two oldest are pretty close in size, do you think that I can put them together safely? Do you have a picture of pin feathers so I can see stages? Pretty please :)