• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any ideas on how to stop Sam from "preening" me?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From your bird's perspective, you have something weird on you that must be preened off. Sam is trying to be a good flock member and help you out :) Have you ever been scratching your bird's head and accidentally touched a blood feather? I make the same sound when Leia tries to helpfully remove my piercings and she's pretty much stopped.

I know it's a joke, but having bird toy earrings is a quick way to get your earlobe torn!

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I sometimes mimic a high-pitched squeak like a lovebird in pain, and Moony normally stops attempting to bite my mole off [ for a while at least ].

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Gus came to me with this issue, but has improved tremendously since I started imitating what another bird would do.

What worked for me was a two step process that starts with making a squawking sound that's my best bird noise for "you hurt me."

The next step is the biggie though. I immediately "fly away" (get up and leave the room), closing the door so Gus can't follow. I give him a couple minutes of the silent treatment while he flies around and flock calls for me, then open the door to once again grace him with my presence (you can really bring home the performance by acting "skittish" for a little bit afterward as well). Over time (several months) he learned that my skin is much more sensitive than he realized, and these days he preens me as gently as possible and stops if I flinch or squeak. He doesn't want to "scare me away."

He actually hasn't drawn blood on me in several months now, a huge change from the constant stream of small wounds he inflicted when he first came to live with me. (The biting, some aggressive and some from over-zealous preening, is the reason his previous owner gave him up, so I was starting with some deeply ingrained bad habits).

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The next step is the biggie though. I immediately "fly away" (get up and leave the room), closing the door so Gus can't follow. I give him a couple minutes of the silent treatment while he flies around and flock calls for me, then open the door to once again grace him with my presence (you can really bring home the performance by acting "skittish" for a little bit afterward as well). Over time (several months) he learned that my skin is much more sensitive than he realized, and these days he preens me as gently as possible and stops if I flinch or squeak. He doesn't want to "scare me away."
This is so cool! The bird had to "tame" you into being preenable! :heart: Bird videos should come with acting lessons :roflmao:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
The loud squaking sound I have been making is starting to work. Sam still is obsessed with fixing my neck but after the squaking, the shoo away and covering my neck with my hand, Sam has started to avoid that area. I may have more work to do to make Sam realize that that area is off limits but so far I think the message is getting through...lol. Still laughing at the nutriberrie earrings though. Also strangely enough when on my glasses the nose and cheek preening is gentle and then I get a neck crane meaning "I'm ready for a nose nuzzle now".

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I was going to say distraction but then I remembered how my Umbrella became obsessed with trying to get my age spots off as I got older (sigh) with lots of consistent redirection beak blocking saying gentle and whatever else I can think of it has gotten better and less often and less aggressive. But yeah she’s still obsessed

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I must apologize for getting too big of a kick out of this post! I loved the idea about talking to Sam in birdy language... so I tried to copy Fiona's 'warning' sound to Fergus, and got some REALLY odd looks from them. When I then played the techno chicken song, they got really loud! Oh well, they really think their Mommy is nutso koo koo all the time, but certainly after this bad imitation of Fiona's "eee-ee-ee-eee-eee" warning that says "Fergus, come one step closer to my food and I will peck your head off"! Glad you have had some success though Lori!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I have had some success with the loud squaking sound but Sam is still somewhat obsessed. He stops short as soon as my hand goes to my neck now but today while I had both hands occupied hanging a new toy he saw his opportunity and flew at my neck, took a nice chomp at my skin tag and flew off again. He took the darned thing off....bird 1 - human 0. Sigh...

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have had some success with the loud squaking sound but Sam is still somewhat obsessed. He stops short as soon as my hand goes to my neck now but today while I had both hands occupied hanging a new toy he saw his opportunity and flew at my neck, took a nice chomp at my skin tag and flew off again. He took the darned thing off....bird 1 - human 0. Sigh...
LMAO! Cheaper than having the doctor do it!

(I feel for you. I've had a mole on my arm my entire life. Via a series of sneak-chomps over several weeks, Gus surgically removed all the pigmented tissue, so my previously dark-colored bump is the same size and shape as before, only now it's the light pink color of scar tissue).

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
LMAO! Cheaper than having the doctor do it!

(I feel for you. I've had a mole on my arm my entire life. Via a series of sneak-chomps over several weeks, Gus surgically removed all the pigmented tissue, so my previously dark-colored bump is the same size and shape as before, only now it's the light pink color of scar tissue).
Ouch!! sounds painful... But yeah, cheaper than the doc...

I've been trying birdie language as well, not to tell Pichu to stop but to sooth him, I noticed that he liked when I make a special kind of whistle.. But I don't know what I told him the other day, he suddenly became very friendly and kissed my lips... I'm afraid I sent the wrong message!! :lol:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Ouch!! sounds painful... But yeah, cheaper than the doc...

I've been trying birdie language as well, not to tell Pichu to stop but to sooth him, I noticed that he liked when I make a special kind of whistle.. But I don't know what I told him the other day, he suddenly became very friendly and kissed my lips... I'm afraid I sent the wrong message!! :lol:
Did you ask him to marry? :hehe: