1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any ideas on how to stop Sam from "preening" me?

Discussion in 'Budgie Boulevard' started by Lori D Pert, 7/11/19 at 1:56 PM.

1. Lori D Pert

Lori D Pert Meeting neighbors

Lori
    Because it hurts...lol. This is a new behavior. Sam has suddenly taken a liking for landing on my shoulder and nipping at the skin tags on my neck. Not only skin tags but any mark or wrinkle of skin. I cover my neck with my hands and my goodness do I ever get told off. I remove Sam and Sam comes right back. Geez....I have now started to wear a scarf around my neck but it is July and rather warm out. Anyone know any way to discourage this behavior? It is not biting...it is kind of pinching with the beak to remove what he obviously sees as a problem. I don't want to scare him but am at a loss as to what to do. Help...

2. Miss_sj

Miss_sj Strolling the yard

stacie
    Ouch! Hopefully one of the more experienced AAcan help. If it was me I would probably go to the doctor and get them removed lol- not for my convenience, for the bird- thats how much I let my budgie boss me around lol!

3. Lori D Pert

Lori
    If it were just the skin tags then I would but it is any mark on my neck and arms including freckles...yikes!! I never realized what a mess I was....lol

JoJo&Loki, Gribouille and Miss_sj like this.
  4. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month

Diane
    Blu is a preen-o-holic too and most of the time it's sweet and gentle. But sometimes he gets carried away and out of control and sometimes it gets annoying too. A lot of the time I can just cover that area with my hand and distract him. But every once on a while I really want him to stop so, I mimic the sound of an annoyed quaker to the best of my ability. It's kind of like an Ahhhgh sound. And he understands and backs off. :laugh:

Can you try to mimic an irritated budgie sound? Lol. It may not be the traditional route but it may work for you.

Shezbug, JoJo&Loki, Eloy and 2 others like this.
  5. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara

This is why everyone thinks bird people are crazy............ because we are! :lol:

I have a couple of beauty spots on my chest, at first they try to grab it thinking it´s food, but they soon figure out that it is not.
    But I do have a little mole on my arm and because it isn´t quite flush with my skin, they do still try going for it, I just direct them away or sit with my hand over it or I put a plaster on it.

Shezbug, JoJo&Loki, Lincee and 4 others like this.
  6. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Sleeves and turtlenecks. Yes it is that simple. :)

7. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    A little crazy, yes. :shy:
    But I feel like if they're not understanding our language we can try to speak in theirs? :blahblah:

umbrella, Shezbug, JoJo&Loki and 5 others like this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I had this problem for a while. Just used a dish towel around neck and mickey eventually stopped.

9. Lori D Pert

Lori
    I'm hoping that it will eventually pass if I just keep brushing him off and keep the scarf handy. Don't laugh because I actually tried the angry budgie sound and while it gave me a bit of satisfaction (lol) it made him even more obsessed. I think it is getting him reaction albeit a bad one. I'm just going to try and brush him off with no reaction other than no. We'll see....

Shezbug and Gribouille like this.
  10. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    I'm sorry it didn't work for you! :tdown:

Maybe it didn't work because budgies are so extremely flock oriented. Thanks for giving it a shot though! I hope with time Sam loses interest in being a cute little rough dermatologist

Shezbug, Gribouille and Lori D Pert like this.
  11. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    A bead necklace might be just what you need to detract him.... and it shouldn't make you sweaty. My Ruby is the same way and she loves to lick me too... nose, face, neck, the back of my head in my scalp... especially after a hot day when I've been sweating since I don't shower until I'm done with the birds.

Shezbug, tka and Lori D Pert like this.
  12. Lori D Pert

Lori
    Hmmm...a bead necklace. Worth a shot. I'll let you know.

Shezbug and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  13. Lori D Pert

Lori
    Well by golly, so far the bead necklace is working. It is a big clunky multiple strand beaded necklace of many colors and covers my neck nicely. He gave me the one-eyed stare of curiosity when I put it on this morning but has kept his distance from my neck...lol. Hopefully when he gets brave enough to get a close up look he will be distracted by the beads and leave my neck alone.

Shezbug, tka, Gribouille and 6 others like this.
  14. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea

:D :fairy2: That's great! Michael's sells a container of plain untreated wood beads you can string up (be sure to use one of their coupons and save some money) and you can also buy some bags of plastic beads in different shapes and make another extra necklace to switch out or wear multiples. Not knowing what you have that you tried, just make sure there any any metal beads for her to pick on.

tka, Lori D Pert and Ripshod like this.
  15. Lori D Pert

Lori
    Well the gawdy necklace lasted all of 1 day. Was back at preening Mommy (and Daddy) with gusto. Sigh... So I said to heck with it and shooed her off and made the angry budgie scream sound. Little so and so came back 6 times but each time a little more apprehensively. It was a real battle of the hens in here...(or maybe I should say one hen and one old bat..lol) BUT she blinked first and flew off to her jungle gym. Ha!!! My sense of superiority may be shortlived but I won this one.

16. Gribouille

Gribouille Jogging around the block

I see only one option left then.. Try and wear birdtoy earrings! Crazy for crazy... :embarassed:

[​IMG]

Lori D Pert, Eloy and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  17. Lori D Pert

Lori
    @Gribouille ...hahahahaha...I think I might prefer the preening...lol

Mockinbirdiva and Gribouille like this.
  18. Lincee

Lincee Rollerblading along the road

Jan
    I have a Senegal who lets me know when its time to shave...
    Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it :hehe:

19. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    That is also what I do to all animals that I try to communicate with. Much easier to talk theirs, then trying to learn them ours.

For a while ago, I heard Eliy making the "Pionus I don't like it, if you not stop, I will make you" sound. I think it's a cute sound but know what it means, but couldn't help myself copy it and said it to her several times.
    She gets really angry and did attack me. So I did copy it perfect, and she did understand what I said.. :p
    Thankfully she is a sweet girl and as soon as she was landing on my shoulder I saw her angry fluff and made a Pionus "I'm a baby so don't hurt me" sound.
    I will never copy that sound again. :D

Lincee, umbrella, Shezbug and 5 others like this.
  20. Gribouille

Gribouille Jogging around the block

that's very cute Eloy! I remember reading about someone who had a little owl in her garden, and she was following the lady in her gardening, so the lady tried to imitate some owl sounds, offended the owl, who stayed away for the rest of the day!! Obviously the lady had said something very rude! :roflmao:

Lori D Pert, Eloy and Mockinbirdiva like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)