• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any beans or lentils birds should NOT eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I bought an Italian soup mix and it contains all sorts of beans and lentils - some I can identify easily, some I can't.

I was wondering if there are any types of beans and lentils that are NOT safe for birds?

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Basically they are OK if they are in a soup mix, the problem comes when you try to feed some raw. Some legumes need cooking to be safe coz of a toxin in them. Maybe you could read the contents list on the packet so we can have a better idea whats in it?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends if you're talking about sprouting or cooking. Not all beans are suitable for sprouting, but are fine if cooked.

I always follow this :

"Sprouting for Nutrition –revised. The original article appeared in Good Bird Magazine by Shauna Roberts" ....

"CAUTION:Large beans: Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, Soy, are not suggested for sprouting. These legumes can cause toxicity and remain difficult to digest. Their raw flavor is also very bad. If you choose to serve these to your bird they MUST be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours, water drained and beans rinsed well, and then cooked by bringing them to a full boil, boiling uncovered for 10 minutes, covered and simmered for another 20 minutes."

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg
As Merlie said, many beans are hard to digest, and have to be cooked extremely well to be safe. I stick with the safest (they can be eaten sprouted as well), easily digestible beans- lentils, peas, garbanzo, mung, and adzuki.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I think Fava beans are a no no.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I'm pulling this up again because I am curious about the safety of these beans when sprouted?

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I would go for the easier to digest ones.

mung, adzuki, whole lentil, whole sprouting pea, garbanzo. Soak overnight and either fully sprout to ½ “ tails (exception lentils can have ¼” tails) or cook (boil 10 minutes, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes).

I have learned a lot from a group called Feeding Feathers.
Christa

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Giving beans from the "soup" is not such a good idea because of the amount of salt in the soup.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted in your other thread .. as well as started a new one with sprouting info. Very few beans are safe to sprout .. scroll up and you will see a previous post I make about sprouting beans.

Inkrose115

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
Oh and be careful. I read in a medical journal that under-cooking the beans can actually make them just as dangerous or more toxic than raw.
A few raw kidney beans won't kill you, but you might very end up in the hospital.
BBB - Phytohaemagglutinin

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, looks like I won't be bothering with beans!

Inkrose115

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
Well, kidney beans really nutritious and a great source of protein.
Just cook them the way you would for yourself and don't sprout them.
I'm actually not sure who would want to eat a raw, dry bean - you'd break your teeth!

I think people forget that with the exception of fruits and such most wild plants have toxins (not the ones humans have bred to produce more and be safer).
They can't move away from a browsing herbivore, so they use what defenses they have.
It's really cool how sophisticated some of their defenses are.

Status
Not open for further replies.