• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Any answers-terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
When I took Littlebird out of the aviary early this morning, her chest feathers were covered with food. When I examined her I noticed a dime sized lesion -like a cigarette burn on her crop, I rushed her to a new avian vet (certified). When she examined her , there was a granulated 3 inch lesion/burn on her keel. Possible explanation was a heating pad burn &/or feeding formula burn. The other vet said he doesn't use heating pads, only special incubators and only hot water from the tap. He could offer no explanation as to how this condition occurred, but the time frame is consistent with her hospitalization ( 2 weeks to slough off) Littlebird is going to have her crop stiched tommorrow. Hopefully , she will recover but I am mystified to what happenned. She has been thru so much and is so skinny. Could it be Mercer? Reaction to the antibiotic shots? I'll know tommorrow when the two vets talk and call me.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Wow, Daria - how scary is that :hug8: Good thing she has you there taking care of her. Sounds like a crop burn. I wouldn't think a heating pad would be in that location but more likely to burn someplace else. Hot water from the tap can be way beyond the proper temperature for hand feeding, but I would think a vet would be using a thermometer. Positive thoughts for her... :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Daria, I feel sorry for little bird. Curious as how they fed the bird, gavage needle or syringe? Hope you get some answers tomorrow.
:hug8::hug8:

gary

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I have no answers, but I am glad you were there and took her to the avian
vet right away. She is in good hands.
I hope for a quick recovery.:hug8:

Sigrid

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
The vet has an excellent reputation . Some vets use heating pads when birds are recovering from anethesia ( remember she had the bound egg extracted) but this vet said he only uses approved incubators to stabalize temperatures. He was going to check with his staff to see if there were any deviations from normal procedures. I am just shocked that Littlebird has to have these terrible burns. Can you imagine the pain? As an RN, I know errors occur but there doesn't seem to be an explanation just the physical findings.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oh Daria I am so sorry for you and Littlebird. How terrible! I hope you find out how this happened, but more importantly I hope she can recover quickly. Poor baby, she has been through so much. Prayers for a quick recovery~

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
(((HUGS))) No, it could not be a reaction to shots.

A heating pad can burn the crop if the bird presses against it too long. Hot water over 115 can also scald the crop enough to cause it to become necrotic and burn thru. Fortunitely you noticed it. The repair is debridging (sp) the necrotic tissue on the outer skin and inner crop wall...stitch up the crop, then stitch up the outer skin.

Poor Littlebird... she is such a sweetie.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Or Daria, I am so sorry that Littlebird is going through this.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
on no I am so sorry that poor little bird is going through this. Could there incubator have malfunctioned? We had a case here where a human baby was burned in the hospital when an incubator malfunctioned and over heated

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry, Daria. I'm glad they are looking into it and will be talking to you.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Daria, I am so sorry that LittleBird is suffering. It surely must be painful. Poor baby. I hope her vet can get her stiched up and she heals quickly. Hugs to you both.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH poor baby...I hope she has a speedy recovery, yet wonder how this happened?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
When I took Littlebird out of the aviary early this morning, her chest feathers were covered with food. When I examined her I noticed a dime sized lesion -like a cigarette burn on her crop, I rushed her to a new avian vet (certified). When she examined her , there was a granulated 3 inch lesion/burn on her keel. Possible explanation was a heating pad burn &/or feeding formula burn. The other vet said he doesn't use heating pads, only special incubators and only hot water from the tap. He could offer no explanation as to how this condition occurred, but the time frame is consistent with her hospitalization ( 2 weeks to slough off) Littlebird is going to have her crop stiched tommorrow. Hopefully , she will recover but I am mystified to what happenned. She has been thru so much and is so skinny. Could it be Mercer? Reaction to the antibiotic shots? I'll know tommorrow when the two vets talk and call me.
You need to have the vet take pictures....if another vet has done this, he needs to pay for this problem...I am so sorry....
but you NEVER put a bird directly on a heating pad!!!!!! A heating pad is ALWAYS wrapped in layers of toweling! Yes, hot water from the tap can BURN the crop because most people have their hot water temps set on about 120º or they do the hand feeding forumla in the micowave and have hot spots that burn the crops when feeding...
I am so sorry Littlebird is going through this!:heart::hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry Daria, sending prayers and healing energy for Littlebird

let us know what the vet tells you, this didn't happen by itself

:hug8:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Good news and bad news. I was wrong about the time frame. It's actually been a month since she was hospitalized so the heating pad theory is out. Actually , the fact that it wasn't a vet error is very comforting . Both vets are in agreement that she has a particularily nasty reaction to the Baytril (sp?) injections (she had them for 12 days). Usually the reactions create localized erosions but because she had them twice a day for 12 days the entire keel (over 3 inches is necrotic) is affected. The crop necrosis has them both stumped. I am waiting on pins and needles to find out if the crop repair is sucessful. Needless to say, no more injections for litttle bird. One thing is for certain is she stays at the vets to be medicated as she is impossible to dose.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to know it wasn't vet error, but this is so awful for her

keep us posted on her progress

:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad it wasn't a vet error but your poor little girl. :( I hope she will be alright.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Prayers coming for her speedy and complete recovery.

Ginger

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am glad she is staying at the vets until she gets better. It is no picnic medicating an uncooperative macaw. It must hurt her :(

Status
Not open for further replies.