• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any advice for finding a lost bird

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Don't worry, it's not Melon or my budgies. They are all at home safe! :)

My mom's friend's son (he's an adult) had recently lost his Sun Conure named Sunny, and I only found out today.

And coincidentally just yesterday, I was using the bathroom and I heard the famous Sun Conure cry and I told my mom, "I guess someone bought themselves a new friend. I hope they take good care of the bird." and went to work.

So my mom friend's told her this morning that it's most likely her son's bird. Her son apparently lives on the same street as us.

I've already asked my mom to ask her friend to send us photos of the bird, and his leg band ID number if possible and to check in on the shelter everyday since recently there's been a surge of birds coming through (a B&G macaw was also recently adopted from there as well.). I also went as far as asking if the bird is recall train to an extent but as far as she and her friend knows, Sunny only responds to a 'wolf whistle'.

Asked if he is food motivated or has any favorite foods that'll have him tempted to come should i see him... I know it's very hard to find a bird once lost but since I feel like Sunny's been hanging around in our neighborhood still I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and help find the bird.

But I wanted everyone's tips if any one has any.

Thank you in advance for the help!!:heart::heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe put flyers up? Notify all the neighbors. He can try leaving the cage outside too with food and water in it. I hope he gets found.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Maybe put flyers up? Notify all the neighbors. He can try leaving the cage outside too with food and water in it. I hope he gets found.
I will let my mom know when I see her.. If I see her later today, If anything I will text her that. Thank you!

I hope he gets found too. I would be devastated if any of my fids let alone any of my animal children had gotten lost!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Use lost bird websites. Put up flyers & contact vets, bird stores & shelters...Talk to this person & make sure they know you lost your bird & inquire if there is a possibility they found the bird. Not sure what else you can do if they found your bird to prove it & get it back.

If it has a band & they have the number you would have to find a way to get them to show it & not sure how that would go if you went to the police as its not really stolen but if it was found maybe you could find a way to have them show the legband that is if they don't have it cut off...

:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope they find him!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Use lost bird websites. Put up flyers & contact vets, bird stores & shelters...Talk to this person & make sure they know you lost your bird & inquire if there is a possibility they found the bird. Not sure what else you can do if they found your bird to prove it & get it back.

If it has a band & they have the number you would have to find a way to get them to show it & not sure how that would go if you went to the police as its not really stolen but if it was found maybe you could find a way to have them show the legband that is if they don't have it cut off...

It's her son's bird that got lost so for now I actually read these comments and quickly relayed the info for her because she said he's been walking around his apartment neighborhood searching for his bird....

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
get every kid in the neighborhood looking for the bird. post flyers at parks, laundry mats, every pole like telephone type, supermarkets, malls, gas stations, street vendors, basically anyplace you can hang a sign. offer a reward even a small one.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The more people you tell, the better chance you have of getting him back. It is said that when a dog is found, people look for the owner but when a bird is found they buy a cage. That is less likely to happen if everyone knows about it.When we lost Tully for 24 hours, I emailed a neighborhood group I'm in and asked all them to email their friends. We had hundreds of people out looking. I also rode my bike and stopped every car that came by and explained the situation.

Use social media like crazy too -- use a really cute picture of him and ask people to share it.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
The more people you tell, the better chance you have of getting him back. It is said that when a dog is found, people look for the owner but when a bird is found they buy a cage. That is less likely to happen if everyone knows about it.When we lost Tully for 24 hours, I emailed a neighborhood group I'm in and asked all them to email their friends. We had hundreds of people out looking. I also rode my bike and stopped every car that came by and explained the situation.

Use social media like crazy too -- use a really cute picture of him and ask people to share it.
get every kid in the neighborhood looking for the bird. post flyers at parks, laundry mats, every pole like telephone type, supermarkets, malls, gas stations, street vendors, basically anyplace you can hang a sign. offer a reward even a small one.
I hope they find him!

UPDATE:

Good news everyone!! I just got a call today from my mom and he found his bird! He actually made a public post on Facebook with his bird and turns out, Sunny the conure flew into his friend's neighbor's apartment unit and his friend immediately called the owner and Sunny is now home safe! But I honestly really appreciate everyone's advices here and I will besure to hold those tips and advices for future missing fids!! Thank you so much! :heart:

(ps I knew I could count on you guys~! :heart:)