• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Antibiotics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
I am wondering if I can give little Chit something that will protect him from the effects of the antibiotic he´s taking. You know how doctors always say that when you´re on antibiotics you should drink yogurt to replenish the bacteria in your intestines... Is there anything natural that I could give Chit that would have a similar effect? The herb salad is in the mail :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I just opened a new bottle of AviBios, Zuzanna. I got it from mysafebirdstore with an expiration date of 2014.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Small amounts of plain yogurt are also fine for birds.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I like inner-eco. It's a dairy free, coconut based probiotic. I also give them plain yogurt sometimes. If there's ever a time when one of my birds is on an antibiotic and not an antifungal, I'll get the AviBios. I don't keep it on hand because shipping is so fast here.

Kara31191

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kara
All of the above suggestions are good. Harrison's bird diets recently came out with a probiotic for parrots. It's not super costly (20 dollars for 30 days for macaws). I ordered it through the veterinary hospital I work for but you can order it directly from harrisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.