• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anti-plucking collars!

sonja

Jogging around the block
It looks like I'll be taking in an extreme plucker - a sweet female M2. I have in mind to try those fleece collars with the strips of fleece coming off of it to perhaps try to divert her from plucking herself. I'm interested in people's experience with these.
~ How do you secure it on the bird so that it's not too tight, so they don't accidentally hang themselves.
~ Do they immediately just try to get it off?
~ Has anyone had success with them?

My mom is a wiz with sewing, so I am going to ask her to make me a couple. I've seen it mentioned somewhere to make sure to use fleece that is not chemically treated - I'm guessing for fire "R" wordant? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
they try to take it off from the get go mine will not eat for a few days until i put his food bowl on the bottom of his cage he could not eat with his foot by a good diet and plenty of toys i found it better to let him go with out a collar but that is just my opinion and what works for me :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one on Dexter. He wears it all the time as he is a mutilator. Mine has snaps on the neck with a ruffle of fleece that covers it. I don't know how well a soft collar will work on an M2 as they can be pretty determined.
When I first put Dexter's on he rolled around on the floor of his cage and made a lot of noise. he found eating and drinking a bit difficult but within a day he was absolutely fine. Here is Dexter's.
dextercollar1.jpg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I have one on Dexter. He wears it all the time as he is a mutilator. Mine has snaps on the neck with a ruffle of fleece that covers it. I don't know how well a soft collar will work on an M2 as they can be pretty determined.
When I first put Dexter's on he rolled around on the floor of his cage and made a lot of noise. he found eating and drinking a bit difficult but within a day he was absolutely fine. Here is Dexter's.
View attachment 189726
Is that one of Patti Lemaire's collars, Judy? so cute :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes Courtney! :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Love her collars! I ordered one for Weebs, but trimmed the ruffles off and she spent two hours trying to eat it and pull fuzzies off of it so I had to put the plastic cone back on :rolleyes: She could have had it so good! My mom used one of Patti's collars for her RB2 last year when she had that awful staph infection/ulcerative dermatitis on the inside of her leg that was hiding under her feathers. Took many many many months to heal it and that collar was a lifesaver. She does great work and I love how adjustable they are with the rings on the bottom like that.

@sonja I can post pics of our two collars like Judy's that we got from Patti in just a minute, but if you are interested in hers you can find her on Facebook. She doesn't have a website that I know of.

sonja

Jogging around the block
HA, Judy! I googled pics to show my mom, and that pic of yours is the one that I sent her without knowing it was yours!
I'd love to see more pics of birdies in their collars.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Thanks! I'll see what my mom comes up with, and assuming all goes as planned and the birdie comes to me, I'll post some pics.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
my meyer's has a velcro closure on hers and my mom's has snap closures on hers. I would just make sure the bird can't get to either to chew on if you are having one made. that's the only thing that made me nervous about the pam's petals. that button with the elastic worries me.

arwyn031313

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amber
Arwyn is wearing one right now as well. She likes to try and eat her left leg. She has had it for a little over 2 months now and it has been a god send. She hates it of course but she is able to climb and have a some what normal life. I hope to one day be able to take it off but she just won't leave her leg alone! image.jpg She sure does look cute tho!!

arwyn031313

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amber
View attachment 189726
How long has Dexter been wearing his? I fear Arwyn will need hers for a very long time. How often do you take it off of him?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
so cute! :heart: :heart: :heart: what size did you get for her @arwyn031313 ? weeble got the quaker sized and I think it was a bit heavy for her. It weighed 23 grams after trimming it. more than twice her plastic cone.

arwyn031313

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amber
I got her the small and I had to do a lot of trimming as well so she wouldn't be off balance. I ordered her a new one that is supposed to be between an extra small and a small. patty said the extra small would be to small but I think the small is just a little to big. I want her to be able to climb without stepping on the collar. She has gotten really good at it but I wish her collar was just a bit shorter. I have cut as much as I could without destroying it lol

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I got her the small and I had to do a lot of trimming as well so she wouldn't be off balance. I ordered her a new one that is supposed to be between an extra small and a small. patty said the extra small would be to small but I think the small is just a little to big. I want her to be able to climb without stepping on the collar. She has gotten really good at it but I wish her collar was just a bit shorter. I have cut as much as I could without destroying it lol
Oh that is so good to know. Would you mind posting a photo and review of the new one when you get it? I may try one for my girl if you like yours. I want to have one on hand should I ever need it in the future.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i like those collars and have one on hand if Percy gets worse :hug8: