• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another trip to the Toronto Zoo! (December 2016)

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
So by now you must know that @Solayan and I love to visit the Toronto Zoo. We have an unlimited admissions membership and go several times a year. Today being Boxing Day, there was half price admission (which didn't matter to us) but also a bunch of special holiday enrichment activities for various animals, which made it extra fun. It was kind of damp out, but many of the animals enjoy the colder weather and so you see them being much more active than in the summer.

Here are some highlights from our trip today!

Red Pandas are the cutest of all mammals. They are made by crossing a racoon with a teddy bear and adding magic. When it's warm out they are often hiding in their indoor enclosure, but today Cassie came out to grace us with her presence.
IMG_4600.JPG

The orangs were enjoying some special fun enrichment today!
IMG_4644.JPG

Nneka the youngest gorilla is nearly three years old now but gorillas grow up nearly as slowly as humans, and she is still adorable and little and not yet weaned.
IMG_4659.JPG

We've never seen any of the cheetahs so alert and active during the middle of the day. This one came right up to the viewing window too but I couldn't get a really good non-blurry shot.
IMG_4685.JPG

The lion cubs are getting so big! Look at this one's adorable little baby mane starting to come in! We won't have the lion cubs much longer, as all four of them are soon going to Quebec, so enjoying them while we can. A couple of the others were roughhousing and goofing off while their dad supervised.
IMG_4706.JPG

How lovely of you to sit helpfully on your identification sign, little motmot!
IMG_4718.JPG

Hey @Calpurnia I found one of Kevin's distant cousins!
IMG_4726.JPG

It's really special to see the black-footed ferret out on display now. The zoo has had them for some time but they were always off exhibit because they were working on a species conservation project, breeding them in captivity for reintroduction since they had been extinct in the wild. The project has gone well and so now they are able to show them again. And they are super cute!
IMG_4740.JPG

Sorry this one is slightly blurry but this was the best picture showing off how cute the loggerhead shrike is. I think he's a new addition where the prairie dogs used to be as I don't remember seeing him before.
IMG_4744.JPG

And I think this is the first time I've seen any of the beaver family out and about instead of dozing in their den. Coming in the winter and having good luck in terms of catching them at the right time of day is definitely worth getting a little chilled and damp!
IMG_4749.JPG

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great pictures! I love the Toronto Zoo :heart: I haven't been there in years thou :crycry2:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You should one of these days! It takes us like 2 hours on the TTC to get there since we live on the west side of town and don't drive, but it's worth it!
I should! But I don't drive either :( and I live a hour and half north of Toronto. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to convince one of my friends that drives to do a day trip down there. I've been talking about it with friends for years :hehe:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wonderful Photos... :fairy2: