• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Tortoise Question

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Do Hermann torts need a specified humidity? If so how can you have a pen out side or inside if there is no lid there is no humidity? Also I was watching YouTube about torts and she was talking about making him hibernate and keeping him from hibernating, can you explain that to me.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Also, if you let them roam how do you make sure they have the right temp and humidity

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't let mine roam unless I'm closely supervising her and it's for relatively short increments. She finds trouble quickly and is surprisingly fast!

Hermann's tortoises need more humidity when young (first couple yrs). Soaking them in warmish water up the bottom of their neck (not too deep because they can't swim) every day for the first year and a couple times a week in the yrs after that. Also using a substrate that retains moisture helps with humidity. Coconut husk substrate is good for this. Misting daily is also a good thing.

Having a pen outside with no lid is risky! Predators are prevalent! And also tortoises are excellent climbers!

Hibernating is risky and should not be done with baby torts. You don't HAVE to do it. It's more prevalent and encouraged in Europe, I think. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to advise you about it, but unless you are 100% comfortable and confident, I'd not do it as a 2-3 degree change can kill your tortoise.

I hope this was helpful :)

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes when I said roam I meant walk around in yard with you for a little bit. Thanks!

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
How do you stop them from hibernating?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes when I said roam I meant walk around in yard with you for a little bit. Thanks!
Yes, I bring her out in the backyard but keep a watchful eye.... She runs really fast and blends in soooo well. But the sunshine is sooooo good for them :heart:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you stop them from hibernating?
Temperature! If they're inside with their heat lamp and UV light on them the urge to brumate goes away :) appetite is usually less in winter, but they'll still eat if you're keeping them warm enough.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks and you said they are good at escaping all the tortoise enclosures I've seen have no lid also the. How do you keep humidity in, can u show me your torts enclosure? Also what kind of tort do you have?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I agree with coconut husk soil for humidity. I've found topsoil is good for burrows, but I wouldn't expect a Hermann's to burrow like a Russian (I haven't personally used topsoil with tortoises, as I don't currently own one myself as a pet). If you keep the daylight hours the same and the temperature up, the tortoise shouldn't go into hibernation. I think the hibernate/not to hibernate is a controversial topic for many. Just my :2cents:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm too ashamed of my enclosure :( it's an aquarium. I've been wanting to build an outdoor enclosure, but my husband keep putting me off and I need his help :o: aquariums are not recommended so don't do want I am :(

Tallula is also a Hermann's tortoise.

You keep the humidity by keeping the substrate moist. This kind of tortoise isn't tropical like the red foot it's more arid so don't go too crazy about humidity.

Have you check out tortoiseforum.org

They have tons of info that your looking for and you can ask lots of habitat questions. I strongly encourage it!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with coconut husk soil for humidity. I've found topsoil is good for burrows, but I wouldn't expect a Hermann's to burrow like a Russian (I haven't personally used topsoil with tortoises, as I don't currently own one myself as a pet). If you keep the daylight hours the same and the temperature up, the tortoise shouldn't go into hibernation. I think the hibernate/not to hibernate is a controversial topic for many. Just my :2cents:
I agree! Hibernate vs no hibernate = controversial!

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
image.jpeg Like this @Aubrey how are you supposed to keep it humid and if it is not hot you would need a uv and heat light and a lid also would this work if down sized and put in a house?

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Also you said they are good at escaping all the enclosures I have seen indoors have no lid and only like three inches higher than the substrate

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your enclosure is lovely! Where's your water source? I'd keep it humid with substrate and in the summer, depending where you live the ambient humidity is pretty decent. But you should soak your tort too.

You don't need UV if it's outside. But inside you do.

They escape by getting purchase on rocks or wooden slats or fencing and pull themselves up and tumble over the other side :wideyed: It's incredible

To get good answers for the questions you are seeking, I really would visit that tortoise website. They'll be far more helpful than I Can be.

Last edited:

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
No that's not mine I don't even have an tort! Ok but on that enclosure could he crawl out if I down sized it and put it inside?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on where you put rocks, logs, and other thing he could boost himself on, but probably not.