• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Tiel Question

Jay Johnson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jared Dean Johnson
Hello everyone! It is I again, the man with a bunch of questions. The past few days my tiel, Hedwig is making different noises. I am not sure if he/she is trying to imitate things, or what. These noises do not sound like an animal in pain, and Hedwig does not act any different when my partner or I interact, or go to the cage. Tonight, my partner and I were watching tv, and the cockatiel was with his cuttlebone (Im sure I butchered that spelling), and made a string a odd sounds. Again, Hedwig is not showing any s/s or distress or pain to me at least, or my partner (who actually has expierence with birds. Yes my partner states Hedwig is fine, but I just wanna reach out) Of course, that sent me into a panic, and my partner and I went to investigate. No s/s of any distress at that point, or tiel being in pain. Tiel instantly got quiet the moment we got close. I took the tiel out of the cage, and gave it head rubs, and he/se seemed completely content. However, everytime we walk away from the cage, the noises start back up. I know this seems like my thoughts are all over the place, I am just trying to make sure I get everything written down for advice, because if I need to take him to a vet tonight, I want to get him in now and start making phone calls to the emergency vet that is an hour away.

Also I want to mention, my partner has taken Hedwig out of the cage, and he is now jumping off our shoulders with his crest straight up. He is normally with his cozy at this time of the night, and has mellowed out.

Also, some background information, hedwig is only about a two months old.

Again, sorry for the rollarcoaster and scrambled thoughts, and of course the questions.

***Update***
Now that I have hedwig on my shoulder, he is preening and grinding his beak, and acting his normal self.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He might just be making little cockatiel noises, especially if you have a boy. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. He/she is awfully cute!