• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another recheck for Lucy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucy went to the vet yesterday to have her uric acid level rechecked. Her weight was down a bit and got call from vet's office today that u.a. had decreased. Happy about the u.a. decreasing but not so happy about the weight loss although it it wasn't that much. U.A is now at the high end of normal but vet wants it lower so she will continue to get allopurinol and will also be continuing with the recommended dietary/nutritional strategy.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Wishing Lucy good health! :bighug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everything will be okay with Lucy!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope everything will be okay with Lucy!
Thanks. Happy that the uric acid level has decreased and hope at the next recheck it will still be in the normal range but lower.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad her Uris acid decreased. Is the vet concerned about the wt. loss?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Weight loss. We live in fear at my house. Secret isn't eating well because of medicine either. Secrets check up was Saturday. Thankfully, vet said she weighed the same as last time.

Secret improved on some things but has to stay on meds also. Liver enzymes AST now 344. High end of normal.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad her Uris acid decreased. Is the vet concerned about the wt. loss?

Not concerned about weight loss at this time because it was minimal. I'll check her weight again tomorrow.

Weight loss. We live in fear at my house. Secret isn't eating well because of medicine either. Secrets check up was Saturday. Thankfully, vet said she weighed the same as last time.

Secret improved on some things but has to stay on meds also. Liver enzymes AST now 344. High end of normal.

It's good that Secret's AST is improved and that her weight is stable. I need to check Lucy's weight more often. I cut back on doing that because it really upsets her and then she eats even less.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How do you weigh her?

I have a t perch that suits on a kitchen scale. Step them on it and bingo, all done. The scale was about 25 dollars at bed bath and beyond. Varietiees, the bird store locally, made the T perch for it.

I keep monthly weights on both birds. Secret is scrawny in my opinion and I always compare to the heavier times. I do see that they fluctuate at different times of the year.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Clueless I put a box (made a few holes in it) on the scale , tare the scale and then put her in the box or, if I don't tare, I just subtract the weight of the empty box from the combined weight of Lucy & box. I would prefer to just put her on the scale or on a perch on the scale but she will fly off.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless I put a box (made a few holes in it) on the scale , tare the scale and then put her in the box or, if I don't tare, I just subtract the weight of the empty box from the combined weight of Lucy & box. I would prefer to just put her on the scale or on a perch on the scale but she will fly off.
time to start training. ..... start with a small perch and a treat.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
time to start training. ..... start with a small perch and a treat.
Thanks but won't work. Offer Lucy a treat and she tosses it and tosses it hard. When she takes off she lands on other birds' cages and that's not a good thing when it comes to most of the other birds because Lucy will get nipped/bitten.
OK for her to land on her ex-husband's cage as long as I'm watching.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My vet just stuffed poor Nerd bird in a medium paper bag to weigh him, worked great. I think they learned most birds don't like to be handled by a unknown person and tend to not move much when stuffed in a bag they can't see out of, plus hard to bite what you can't see or get to. For Lurch when he was here, and Dobby I just try to get him to sit on a towel on the scale, if I'm lucky it works.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet puts them in what is known as the "cooker". Sounds terrible doesn't it but it looks like a pot with holes in it. Some of my birds can just be put directly on the scale and they will stay there but not Lucy. I weighed her today and used the box.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is she maintaining her weight? Good thoughts for Lucy :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she maintaining her weight? Good thoughts for Lucy :heart:
Thanks. She was down 3 gms at the vet's office and weighed the same today. Not really happy with that but at least it's a small amount. I didn't give her veggies or fruit yesterday because I had a lot going on in the AM and then had to leave for an appt which I knew was going to last a few hours, plus the drive there and back would be long. Today she got her veggies and a few other extra goodies. I am seeing lots of seeds hulled and she is eating some of her veggies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks. She was down 3 gms at the vet's office and weighed the same today. Not really happy with that but at least it's a small amount. I didn't give her veggies or fruit yesterday because I had a lot going on in the AM and then had to leave for an appt which I knew was going to last a few hours, plus the drive there and back would be long. Today she got her veggies and a few other extra goodies. I am seeing lots of seeds hulled and she is eating some of her veggies.
:ygg: Lucy!