• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another raptor ID thread

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just saw this magnificent bird from my window

20171111_114308.jpg
20171111_114232-1612x1209.jpg

The 2nd picture is the most my phone camera allowed for a close up so I hope you all can see it.

Sadly, I saw it swoop down at the sparrows in my yard but I looked away so I didn't see if it caught one.

Is this a red tail hawk?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I'm not even gonna try. No reason why it couldn't be a red-tailed hawk but I don't see enough detail to tell for sure either.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks guys! I thought it was a red tail but I was a little unsure cause the chest was so white but then I found this pic on Google of a red tail with a white chest so I guess it can vary

20111114-5935.jpg
And then it fluffed up and looked a little like this.
momchest.jpg

So I think I saw a red tail! It was beautiful and looked so thick bodied. I hope it come around more often.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I don't know what any of these are - I just like looking at the pictures. In my part of the UK I mainly see Sparrowhawks and Kestrels so I'm deeply jealous of all your sightings. The majesty of these birds of prey gets me every time. Awesome.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
She's baaack

20171126_095452-2016x1512.jpg

This time Blu got scared. She hung out on the roof across the street from me and preened for a second before soaring off to the lamp post near by.

Blu is in a bad mood as it is today and seeing that ticked him off and freaked him out. First time he's ever reacted that way to an outdoor bird that way. I hope to see her more often but not if it scares Blu so much :scared3:

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Definitely a red tail!

I had a little red shoulder that used to come by my house and sit in a dead tree about 20 feet or so from Sam's window. It used to send Sam into sentinel mode and he'd scream until he flew off.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird used to alert us if he saw any crows or hawks out the window. I would tell him thank you for keeping us safe and he'd be quite proud of himself. I think many birds are programmed to watch over their flock whatever it might be. sounds like in your flock that is your job and Blu's job is to hide till mom tells him it's safe.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
sounds like in your flock that is your job and Blu's job is to hide till mom tells him it's safe.
I've never thought about that before but you're probably right. When Blu gets scared he usually flies right over to me.