• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Random Tiel Question

Jay Johnson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jared Dean Johnson
I have come to discover I do not think my tiel likes baseball caps very much...the reason I say this is because I have noticed if my partner or I are wearing a baseball cap, the tiel hisses. Any insight is welcomed as to why the tiel may not like it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Birds are suspicious of hats, sunglasses....red fingernail polish.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Teils are funny little things . They have no idea that it’s a cap and it won’t hurt them. They just know that’s its bigger than them and probably considers it a Intruder.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My cockatiel can be suspicious of hats, gloves and bright colors. Bright like orange!

New things can mean danger, so certain things they aren't familiar with they can have an adverse reaction to. Normal. If you work with them and teach them that those scary items aren't so scary after all, then they can get over their fear. Use lots of treats!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A lot of birds don't like hats. My 'too will actually grab the hat off of my fiancé's head and throw it.

Jay Johnson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jared Dean Johnson
Thank you everyone for the insight!!

So even though we are wearing it, he still thinks of it as a intruder?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wear a lot of dark or neutral colors. Browns, blues, greys, white, black.... so my birds are used to me wearing those colors.

The one time I walked in to my bird room wearing a bright orange shirt, all my birds freaked out! I immediately turned around, changed shirts and walked right back in! No issues!

Animals, especially prey animals, can be hypersensitive to things like that. If you really want to learn more about animal minds, then check out Temple Grandin's book Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior. It helps to give a different perspective of how animals think. There are some areas of the book that aren't necessarily pleasant to read (considering what Temple Grandin does for a living), but it really helps to point out how something so small and minute can have such a *huge* impact on animals!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My cockatiel doesn’t care if I wear sunglasses or wear red nail polish. He actually wolf whistle when I walk pass his cage
:lol:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
This is why desensitization is so important. Here is a link to a YouTube video on the subject.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My tiel hissed at me for the first time when I wore a bright orange / yellow / red cap , but within an hour she got over it and wanted to chew it.

Now when i wore red nail polish, my tiel wouldn't go on my fingers all day.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The reason they don't like baseball caps they can't see your eyes. My tiel boy hates ponytails he will attack my head in full fury. I have no idea why, more baggq from his former home.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
See now Buddy doesn't mind my glasses, but she freaks out when I wear contacts or shave my beard.