• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Nutriberries Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think this one might be it! :D

After I first used Ellen's Avicake recipe, it was a hit with Jingo and Koopa, but Gizmo (the real target) was not interested. When I saw that Sparkles had made a similar recipe, but was able to do it without a liquid sweetener, I figured I could give it another go! So here is my take!

My base:

5 pitted deglet noor dates
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup goji berries
4 oz of applesauce
1/8 cup warm water

My Mix-Ins:

1/4 cup milk thistle seeds
1/2 cup rolled whole wheat oats
1/2 cup Custom Seed Mix
1/2 cup Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume
1 tbsp cherry powder (made from freeze dried cherries)
1 tbsp ground ginger

Directions:

1. Soak the flax and chia seeds in the water and applesauce in a shallow dish (I used a pie plate) for 15-30 minutes; this will get some nice gel going. The applesauce I used was Mott's Healthy Harvest Country Berry - one of the single serve cups. Mix a couple of times during the soak to make sure the moisture gets to all of the seeds.

2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit

3. In food processor, combine all of the "base ingredients" together, and mix until smooth (this may take a few minutes). In mine, the chia seeds were all that were left:

mush.jpg

4. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients until well blended.

5. Combine the dry ingredients a little at a time into the wet, mixing well inbetween until everything is well coated and moist.

pre-cooked.jpg

6. Roll into balls, coating your hands with red palm oil (what I used) or coconut oil every few.

7. Place balls onto greased or covered cookie sheet, spaced about a half inch apart from each other.

8. Bake for about 2 hours; at 1.5 hours mine were still a little soft in the middle.

9. Let cool completely, and them remove for serving or freezing! Mine made 75 "parrot size" nutriberries.

nutriberries1.jpg

I will be testing these out on Gizmo tomorrow; let's hope I can "trick" her ;)

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Thanks for this Shawna. Great instructions and so helpful to have the pictures. I am thinking I would like to make some of these for my BGM. I guess I would just make them larger? (She says hoping a knowledgeable macaw owner will come along and say if that is a good idea or not????) :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think you could do any size your bird will eat :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just put a couple in Gizmo’s food bowl before I head out for a bit on some errands; we’ll see if she takes to them right away or not!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I think it's a neat idea, but I guess I'm wondering how one would get them nutritionally balanced?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it's a neat idea, but I guess I'm wondering how one would get them nutritionally balanced?
Gizmo already eats Zupreem like a champ, so making it nutritionally balanced is not a goal. These are for treats only, and I treat Lafeber Nutriberries the same way.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well so far, they have gone ignored. :lol: I'll keep trying, though!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had to dig this up because I have to make more :p

About a month ago, Gizmo decided she would tolerate trying these after I started switching some of her Lafeber's in her foraging toys with these. Now, she seems to actually prefer them! :eek: I do plan to make some minute changes to pack in some more nutrition, but otherwise, I am happy with the results :) The omega 3 to 6 ratio in chia seeds is 3:1, which is considered the "perfect" ratio, so that helps, and I can add liver and arthritis healthy things to help her feel better at the same time :)

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
that looks really good! :dance4:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Thanks, will try it in the future!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I had to dig this up because I have to make more :p

About a month ago, Gizmo decided she would tolerate trying these after I started switching some of her Lafeber's in her foraging toys with these. Now, she seems to actually prefer them! :eek: I do plan to make some minute changes to pack in some more nutrition, but otherwise, I am happy with the results :) The omega 3 to 6 ratio in chia seeds is 3:1, which is considered the "perfect" ratio, so that helps, and I can add liver and arthritis healthy things to help her feel better at the same time :)
So I just realized that this post was started about 4 months ago. So it seems yet another reinforcement to me to try for a really really long time before giving up on new foods you are trying to get them to eat. It took almost a year for my conure ( but I didn't push her), and now I'm trying with my new grey. Today, for no explainable reason, (except I put a little palm oil on) she turned down her favorite breakfast (warm grains and such). On a whim, I put two of the different kinds of pellets in a food dish up high. I had been mixing them in with other stuff and didn't think she'd been eating any of it. To my surprise, she hustled up there and scarfed down just one of the brands. Guess we have a winner! :dancing:

sorry to hijack a bit but it struck a chord when I realized you first tried with these nutri-berries 4 months ago!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I just realized that this post was started about 4 months ago. So it seems yet another reinforcement to me to try for a really really long time before giving up on new foods you are trying to get them to eat. It took almost a year for my conure ( but I didn't push her), and now I'm trying with my new grey. Today, for no explainable reason, (except I put a little palm oil on) she turned down her favorite breakfast (warm grains and such). On a whim, I put two of the different kinds of pellets in a food dish up high. I had been mixing them in with other stuff and didn't think she'd been eating any of it. To my surprise, she hustled up there and scarfed down just one of the brands. Guess we have a winner! :dancing:

sorry to hijack a bit but it struck a chord when I realized you first tried with these nutri-berries 4 months ago!
Hooray!! Yes, the key is to be more stubborn than the bird :p I definitely think it is a good idea to just keep on trying - some may take a few weeks, others a few months, perhaps others still a few years. But it always pays to try and to keep trying!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
The omega 3 to 6 ratio in chia seeds is 3:1, which is considered the "perfect" ratio
The ideal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in humans is 2:1 (twice the omega 6 as omega 3). Is it this significantly different for birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

The ideal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in humans is 2:1 (twice the omega 6 as omega 3). Is it this significantly different for birds?
Oh I don't know, I thought 3:1 was the best for humans! I've heard that anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1 is best. I know that chias are 3:1 though. No idea on birds :o:

This article has some interesting findings on the 3 to 6 ratio:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

Last edited:

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
Thats a great recipe! Im gonna try it and let my daughter help...while she is on March Break!:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.