• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another New Person Here.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Away on business, missig her terribly. Anxious to see how she reacts when I get home.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Our guy is about 6/7 and still has those beautiful greyish eyes as well so it doesn't really have to mean that they are a baby. :)

Welcome to HH ownership. I would caution against rubbing under the wings though as that can trigger hormones. ;) And this is there breeding season.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
I borrowed a food scale today and weighed her, 196 grams which I've read is at the low end of the Hawk Head weight range.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She is beautiful and so sweet! I am really glad you guys found each other! My nanday conure exhibits a lot of similar behaviors. She came from another home and I was told not taken out of the cage. She immediately took to me. She loves to roll over on her and let me pet under her wing. She play wrestles and also loves to shove her face into the cup of my hand. I bet your little bird is a girl!

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
Totally know that smell, our guy alternates between wet dog and maccaw like smell when he is wet :)

196 seems low how old is she/he? are they eating enough? and of course was it able to get a good reading on him since it was for food? Our guys weight is around 239grams most of the time which is healthy for our individual bird, not sure how much the girls are supposed to weigh (we have an avian scale, though he does tend to weight slightly less at the vet than home by a few grams). That is his weight in the middle of the day though after he's been eating and playing ;) (Plus he is 6 or 7 years old.)

Our guy likes Roudybush Maintanence Small. Though our vet told us some HH's like Harrisons High Energy pellet as well. Our guy didn't go for it but he LOVES his roudybush.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
She is definitely at the low end of normal for Hawk Heads in size. I believe that she is between 20-30 years old. She is very petite.

I'm waiting for warmer weather before I get her to the vet. I use a food scale with a perch to weigh her a she has been consistent in her weight while I'm moving her off seeds.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Such a precious sweet bird. Seeing you both cuddling is heartwarming.
May you have many happy years together!

:loveshower:

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
Ahh, glad you are checking the weight as you transition her to pellets. That's what i was worried about, that she might have dropped during the switch but sounds like not. Wow she sure is a beauty!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Welcome. I always love pictures of beautiful Hawkheads. They are so striking.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: Love seeing other Hawk head owners ...my Loki is coming on 12 yrs :)

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
:welcomesign: Love seeing other Hawk head owners ...my Loki is coming on 12 yrs :)
What veggies does Loki eat? I know I'm trying to get an older bird with well established feeding habits to eat healthy (I wish I could do that) but all I can get into her is some sweet potato and squash. She doesn't touch anything green.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Here's a video that I tool the other night with my phone....not the most flattering of angles ;) Nike quiets down about 730 every night and if it was up to her would sleep on me, or on the top of the couch or whever she can find a human hand to nestle in.

What's amazing to me is that we were able to fully handle her by day three, she has become very attached to us and is totally trusting.

She will put up her feathers and hiss and lunge at me occasionally when I want her to do something that she isn't interested in. She has even bit me with a bit which is only slightly stronger than her normal mouthing pecs. She can and does tear into almonds so I know she has a decent bite but she has not even tried to get that rough with me.

I love her and would have taken her no matter what her age is because she is a great bird, I would just like to know for care reasons.

I wish you could've seen the smile on my face while I watched your video. There is such a visible connection between the two of you that's cute to see.