• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another New Person Here.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Hi folks,

Great to see a subforum for Hawk heads. I am only about 10 days into adult Hawk Head ownership and we're doing pretty well.

Prior to Nike, I owned an Orange Winged Amazon for almost 40 years with her passing last month.

She was on a seed diet so I'm trying to wean her off using Zupreem fruit blend as she seems to like that.

I don't have much in the way of good pics of her yet but here's one.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello::welave::greet7::greet9:

Awww, how old is she? Her eyes are still dark-ish, but I know some older hawkheads have dark irises too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:welave:
Welcome! Nike is a beautiful girl. You're one lucky papa. :p

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome!

Matt

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
:hello::welave::greet7::greet9:

Awww, how old is she? Her eyes are still dark-ish, but I know some older hawkheads have dark irises too.
Thanks for the welcome!

JosienBB, can you tell me more about visual signes of a Hawk Head's age? I'm not actually really sure about her age. I was told 13 over the phone, 19 by a friend who knew the bird, and I googled a thread from last year where 24 was stated as her age. I'm awaiting the prior owner's release to the vet so I cansee her medical records....maybe that will shed some light.

I've only had her for about 10 days and within 3 she was cuddling, very, very sweet bird. Not all that active but that could be the new environment. Doesn't play with toys. Talks when she's excited and is often regurgitating when she is in a good mood...especially loves and gets excited around my wife.

Because of her activity level I'm a bit worried that she is older than I thought so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave: Your new parrot is gorgeous! :heart:

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Here's a video that I tool the other night with my phone....not the most flattering of angles ;) Nike quiets down about 730 every night and if it was up to her would sleep on me, or on the top of the couch or whever she can find a human hand to nestle in.

What's amazing to me is that we were able to fully handle her by day three, she has become very attached to us and is totally trusting.

She will put up her feathers and hiss and lunge at me occasionally when I want her to do something that she isn't interested in. She has even bit me with a bit which is only slightly stronger than her normal mouthing pecs. She can and does tear into almonds so I know she has a decent bite but she has not even tried to get that rough with me.

I love her and would have taken her no matter what her age is because she is a great bird, I would just like to know for care reasons.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, the skin around their eyes gets darker if exposed to the sun. I guess she hasn't had very much sun in her life. My Target is 16, and the only thing showing her age really is the wrinkliness of her feet. Does Nike have a band?

If you do the regular tests at the vet and they come back okay, I wouldn't worry about her age too much. The vet will let you know if anything on her bloodwork shows she may need to be put on a senior diet.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Nike has a band but my eyes aren't good enough to read it. I'll fined some with young eyes to take a look at it. I had thought about that but some internet research mostly said that the bands weren't dated.

Thanks

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Welcome :) Nike is beautiful

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful. Welcome to the forum!

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
She might actually be a he but since I called my last bird a she for 40 years I decided that it was easier....I should have renamed her as well since half the time i call her by the wrong name too :)

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Welcome to Avian Avenue Bill . Your hawk head is so beautiful. And she looks so sweet. I look forward to hearing about life with her.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a sweetheart.