• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another fid at the vet...

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Because of Kamara's damaged feet, and because she's become a free-range birdie who almost never has her door shut, I've been making an active effort to ensure that the room she's in is completely safe for her. Padded floors in case of falls, anything she can get her head stuck in either removed or hidden where she can't get to it, cords tucked well out of the way of wandering beaks, anything potentially toxic or dangerous taken out...

I thought I did a decent job making sure she was safe, and because she's such a mild-mannered, sedentary grey, I figured (hoped) she wouldn't manage to get herself into any perilous situations.

Stupid.

This morning I went in, expecting to find Kamara snoozing on top of her cage or on her sleep perch, as always, but she wasn't there. I did a quick scan of the room, wondering whether she'd found a new favourite place to sleep, and then I saw her in the air, limp as a boned fish, hanging from a net by her foot.

I think I might have died for a second, but then she flapped her wings angrily and growled at the net, still struggling, and I booked it across the room, scrambled onto my chair, and got her down. She was too weak to do much but lie in my hands, and her foot was massively swollen, so I wasted no time and rushed her to the vet as fast as possible.

I'm at work now (I couldn't take time off) and getting updates as they come, but poor Kamara must have been hanging there for the better part of the night. She's exhausted and certainly in shock. They're keeping her warm and quiet, but of course there's concern for her foot. There's nothing broken, blessedly, but her circulation was cut off for who knows how long; the vet seems hopeful that it wont have to be amputated, but poor Kamara already has so many issues with her feet.

I'm so tired.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG!!! That's terrifying! You are both in my thoughts, and Java and I are rooting for a full and speedy recovery :sadhug2:

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Oh no! Poor Kamara so glad you were there to find her! That is very scary I know. When Papaya was younger he managed to get stuck/ trapped in about any type of toy you can imagine. :/ praying to the Gods for a speedy recover.

What type of net was it?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:...Yikes!!!! I hope everything is OK with the leg. Too bad she did not yell but I guess they know they are caught & do not want to draw attention as they can't get away. Sorry, still I say nothing wrong with sleeping in a cage & get then there are the possibility of night frights. No matter how hard we try they seem to always find a way to find danger. Poor girl...hoping its ok.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
oh man, good thoughts for you both!!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Changed my mind about getting a net

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
OMG!!! Poor Kamara, I hope the vet is able to fix her foot good as new and fast. What an awful accident to happen, so glad you found her when you did. Thinking of you and Kamara and sending loving healing thoughts :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor little Kamara.

I've never gotten a net for my birds. They always looked like an accident ready to happen to me. Just like a happy hut.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am going to contact Matt and see how much it would be and if would do it (pvc tube and eye hooks for their toys)

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh gosh.. Poor Kamara! Wishing her blessings to heal quickly!!!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This made me feel sick to my stomach. OMG, @hrafn, so many painful experiences that you've had to endure in such a short period of time.

I pray that Kamara's foot will be spared, and that she will be home with you again very soon.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh no! Poor Kamara! This must have been so frightening for both of you! Lot's of thoughts and prayers for a fast and full recovery!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just got to the vet and was given some relieving news: Kamara probably wasn't hanging nearly as long as I thought. Maybe an hour, or about that. The swelling of her foot has gone down and she can put weight on it and flex her toes (at least as much as she could before). So no amputation!! Hallelujah!

She's still staying at least overnight, of course. She beat herself up good trying to get free of the net, and is going to stay where she can get oxygen and fluids. Being in shock is no laughing matter.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh how scary! Glad to hear that the swelling has reduced, and that she is being well taken cared for at the vet!

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Just got to the vet and was given some relieving news: Kamara probably wasn't hanging nearly as long as I thought. Maybe an hour, or about that. The swelling of her foot has gone down and she can put weight on it and flex her toes (at least as much as she could before). So no amputation!! Hallelujah!

She's still staying at least overnight, of course. She beat herself up good trying to get free of the net, and is going to stay where she can get oxygen and fluids. Being in shock is no laughing matter.
I'm so happy you got good news!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So glad to hear her foot will be okay! Wishing a fast recovery to her and ease of mind to you, happy she's doing better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's very scary. Good that she is doing OK and that her foot will not need to be amputated.