• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Another Canker bird..graphic

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was hoping for a good canker season..:sad10:I dove into a palo verde tree " thorns from hell" and crawled into mesquite tree and fianally creosote to get him..
He has canker, but, the good news is, it's in his crop and not his mouth or throat. .so I have a clear path ..The bad news is the canker ate through his crop.. hes on FLAGYL, sub Q fluids and baby formula..
20190604_195123.jpg
20190604_195204.jpg
The beige thing is the canker, the black is the blood and theres a few seeds mixed in..:sad4:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How do they get canker? What a brave soul you are to climb through thorns!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
From not proper hygiene of food and water vessels. You need to scrub feeders and bird baths with bleach weekly. Am I correct @Birdbabe ?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ouch, sorry, Hope you an pull her through...How do birds live in the wild then? They drink water from wherever they can. If birdbaths & feeders are breeding grounds for illness then maybe its best not to have them.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its spread from contaminated water sources, we need to clean our outdoor water sources and hummingbird feeders religiously, with bleach water and rinse rinse rinse.. here in the desert, we must have water stations, even for the bunnies. We have 9 in our yard, and 3 hummies feeders , its a chore, but I keep them clean. The birds I find and get calls from are most likely from the neighborhood..

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for pointing this out! Like you, I have a couple water stations. I will be sure to bleach out more regularly. I did not know about this! I do keep the water dripping into one bowl all day and the other two I swap out every morning. I’ll be sure to bleach out more often.