• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another bird in need of help :(

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh no, poor little thing. That sounds like a lot for him to have to go through. Many pet birds face a clipped and caged future, and in the wild it sounds like this little one would have faced possibly being hunted and exterminated. With you he will have a happy and fulfilling life with a mum experienced in providing a great life to special needs babies. He couldn’t have been saved by better people :yes3::heart: :hug8: I hope he pulls through!

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much to you and your boyfriend for helping the little guy out. I hope all goes well and it is able to recover and have a happy life. Even if he can't fly he could still have a good quality of life with lots of tlc. Please keep us updated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Correction, The blood drops were this afternoon, not yesterday. Sorry I got confused because she was asking if I gave him anything yesterday, I told her just water, he drank two dips.

20191002_220033.jpg

I'll call for an update in the morning(it's now 23:44). I'm just hoping he's not going to continue deteriorating ❤

Thankyou everyone for the well wishes ❤

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Ouch.That's a tough little bird for not being in more pain.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ouch.That's a tough little bird for not being in more pain.

Yea, he's was given medicine for the pain luckily but still. So traumatic!
He must be so scared :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just now got here and saw this. I would refuse the amputation. Just my 2 cents, and it's based on a gut feeling. You can handle it - cleaning, dosing neem tea for inflammation, etc.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
I’m not sure if they could wrap it .. but it still wouldn’t heal normally and who knows if he can extend it afterwards. But otherwise I’d be afraid of it getting caught on things with how it’s sticking out now if it was left.

Poor guy though, that break is brutal :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really smashed & lots of fine bones...I'd be more worried about blood flow...If the blood vessels are smashed it could ge t gangrene..If the tip is dying or too bad it might need to come off...No expert & I'd have to rely on the vet for thebest possible outcome # 1 for life...

:angel1::angel6:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. The wing was catching under him while I was waiting at the hospital the other day. He can't move it at all from the first joint.
The vet says it's going black and dying. I think if he's well enough they plan to do this today, I'm not too sure. He's in a bad way. I am about to board my plane but I will call when I land and see how's he's been overnight.

Thanks for all your support, we're heartbroken for this little guy and we don't even know him.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Have a very safe and uneventful flight! I hope the baby is well enough to have his surgery. Poor angel, I am worried about the dying limb.. as horrific as it sounds, I hope the good doc can safely proceed with the amputation before any complications arise.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm usually a nervous flyer however not today. My mind is just thinking about that little bird and hoping there's some improvement...

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you had a safe flight @Zara I know the weather isn't that fantastic at the moment over there!

I'm sure your bf will take great care of him, we are all hoping for some good news :sadhug2:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor poor baby. :sad7: Waiting anxiously for news!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor baby...so glad you scooped him up for sure.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry for late update, unfortunately there's no news. There was a little more bleeding from the nares today. The vet are monitoring him and handfeeding him.
I wish I could say something better but at least he's still hanging in and so I hold on to hope ❤

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Awww, I’ve been reading these posts with tears. I have a Quaker and they are incredibly resilient. The bloody nares could be from a head injury, but he would have other neurological symptoms like seizures. If the wing is becoming necrotic or dead, it should be amputated soon. The dead tissue can release toxins into the bloodstream and he gets septic. At least that’s how it works with people.
He is such a lucky Quaker to have fallen in your backyard. I’ve signed petitions against euthanizing Quakers in Spain. It’s actually a misnomer Quakers ruin crops and kill native birds. They are great, very talkative birds.
:bighug:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh @Zara what a beautiful thing to do for this adorable baby Quaker. I am late to the thread and reading through it, I was touched. Thank you for giving him a chance and getting him help. I really hope he pulls through and grows into a well loved little bub.

I empathise with the stress, when you need to travel smack in the middle of this.

Your boyfriend was a hero to call you about this little one. Since your boyfriend has seen how you are with the birds and has been involved in your flocks day to day, I am sure he will have a good set to skills to hold the fort for you until you return.