• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another bird in need of help :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My boyfriend called me at 4.30pm, (it's now 6.30) "come out the back of the house, Bring the cage".
I went out with the cage and a towel to see a quaker on the floor one street away, my boyfriend said a cat was about to pounce him and he chased it away. I could see blood and a bent wing. My vet closed at 3pm. So, I remembered Peppers hero vet and I wasted no time, I scooped him up and carried him in my arms to the cage. A friend of my boyfriend was quite impressed how quick I was in picking him up and taking him off, I was only there for one minute.

Pit stop outside my house to offer him a dish of water, he drank 2 mouthfuls.
Straight down into the car, the journey is 10 minutes. I got there and had to sit and wait my turn at the vet, the same man was there, which was a relief.

He looked at the bird, he says the wing is really bad. He also said that the bird is young because of the wing feathers still partially unopened.
My intention was to leave the bird there, and once he's healed he could be released however, they said he might not heal enough to be released and so they would have to ring a protector if I didn't take charge of him and they would come, tell us they will care for him, and then put him down or poison him. The monk parakeets are invasive species here and so they are obligated to terminate any handed in.

After phonecalls to my boyfriend and my dad to split the bill to soften the blow, I agreed to accept ownership and left the bird there. He is having an x-ray and an antibiotic. And they will take the next steps to helping him heal. The vet will call me later to pick him up.

My heart breaks for so many birds that are found and the human is not helped in helping these birds. Lucky for Pepper and this little guy, we have a little money, we're not rich but we're not poor either.

The hero vet strikes again!

Please keep this little guy in your thoughts!! He literally stared death in the face and my boyfriend saved him!

I leave the country the day after tomorrow. Hopefully we will figure this situation out.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor baby :( So glad he's in your care now!! Your bf is a hero for saving this little guys life!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your bf is a hero for saving this little guys life!
He really is!!
He´s sat here telling me how bad he feels for the little guy and is even considering expanding our family should he not be able to be released. When I called him from the vet, we had agreed to take this bird in, and if he couldn´t be released, then to rehome him (with a good home).

Who knows what will happen! Life is sooo unexpected!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you :heart: As a Quaker lover, I am so glad that you and your family rescued him :hug8:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
While the vet was writing down all the numbers and totalling the bill... The little one was preening away :( he doesn't even know he's injured, such a tough cookie!
IMG_20191001_175618.jpg

I am so glad that you and your family rescued him
Neither me or my boyfriend are the sort of people to turn our back on an injured animal :hug9:
I also can´t risk calling a sanctuary or protector, for them to euthanise him on the sly. Last year marksmen were employed in our city to cull these birds.

Last edited:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He really is!!
He´s sat here telling me how bad he feels for the little guy and is even considering expanding our family should he not be able to be released. When I called him from the vet, we had agreed to take this bird in, and if he couldn´t be released, then to rehome him (with a good home).

Who knows what will happen! Life is sooo unexpected!
Awww. Well, if he's really still a baby he might adapt very well to life with people!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:heart::heart:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
You guys are awesome!!! Blessings to all!!!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You and your boyfriend are my heroes! :heart:Thank you so very much for helping this little cutie!

Before seeing the post about him or her preening and not even realizing the injury I was going to say how feisty he or she is only thinking about getting out of that cage.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was going to say how feisty he or she is only thinking about getting out of that cage.
When I went over to pick him/her up, I did get bit once, not hard enough to break skin. But they didn´t fight back while in the towel after the one bite. And he wasn´t attacking the vet either, so considering he´d just been attacked, he wasn´t as fiesty as I would have thought. But yes, the cage was the enemy and he wanted out! :(

I forgot to mention... When the vet had a hold of him and we were speaking with my boyfriend on the phone explaining the injuries, I noticed he is missing a toenail. I´m not quite sure what happened there, maybe I´ll get some info on that later on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Before seeing the post about him or her preening and not even realizing the injury I was going to say how feisty he or she is only thinking about getting out of that cage.

I was thinking the same thing!!

I really do hope he makes it and so very thankful you have a vet you can go to for help with these situations :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m thinking of evicting Adelie and giving the 18x18x30 to the quaker. She is getting a Kings cage soon so she will just have to put up with sleeping in a little cage for a short while. I´ll nip next door and pick up the cage later tonight.

It´s funny because the other month I said to my boyfriend that we´ll give our blue cage to his uncle... but then Pepper turned up and I used it to take him to the vet... then his uncle visited us the other day and I said, now that Pepper is away, we´ll take that cage round to your uncle.
I don´t think I´ll say it again... We´ll just hide it in the storage unit underground like Jumanji :shocked1:

I really do hope he makes it and so very thankful you have a vet you can go to for help with these situations :)
Still no news :( I´m hoping for a good outcome, whatever that may be. It´s 8.30pm, my birds are going to bed now.
I have been blessed with this vet who goes out of his way to help the ¨common¨ animals and those that even the protectors deem unimportant.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I called the hospital. They didn´t manage to X-ray him today as they didn´t have time. He is booked in for 3pm tomorrow, I´m told to call back around 4-5pm tomorrow. He has been given medicine and is now settling in for the night.
Poor little guy must be terrified ❤

I don´t really know what will happen when we get him home. He will live in our bedroom at first, away from our birds and the dog can´t get in there anymore. I won´t have any time with him before I leave. My boyfriend will be caring for him while I´m away. I´ll nag him to check the bird eats and give any meds if neccessary.

If anyone has any pointers or suggestions I´m all ears and will pass on any info to my boyfriend :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg::fairy2::hug8:Sure is a cutie...I hope all goes well.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Poor thing... seeing the wing in the first video made me cringe. Hopefully looks worse than it is and it isn’t too painful for the little guy. :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
seeing the wing in the first video made me cringe
When I was waiting at the vet, he was turning around and the wing was tucking under him, I don´t think he can move it at all. Boyfriend said his flight was zero and he barely moved when I arrived, hense the speedy collection.
I´m just hoping he´s not suffering too much and that we get some answers from the xray...