• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Baytril question

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Okay, so I went out and bought some vitamins for the budgies (Avitech AviVita Gold), and some Probiotics (made by Morning Bird). The lady at the bird shop advised not giving ANY of it until they're done with the Baytril, because both can interfere with the medicine. Is this true? I think I read something about calcium being a bad thing with Baytril, so that would eliminate the vitamins for now. But the probiotics? I can't see why that would be bad.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never heard of probiotics being a problem while using antibiotics. My vet recommends them if a bird is having diarrhea from the medication. The antibiotics will kill some of the bacteria in the probiotics but they can still be helpful.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That's what I thought. I just Googled calcium and Baytril and it does seem like there is some info saying calcium can inhibit the medicine from working. I guess I should take out the cuttle bone I have in there too (not that they've shown any interest in it so far).