• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Amarillo update!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Amarillo still wasn't keeping weight on, so we went back to the vet school...again! She was also straining a bit when she pooped, so that had me a bit worried. A day or two before we had our appointment, she seemed to take a great interest in rice and was looking forward to breakfast and dinner and her rice! She was crabby but incredibly bright at the vet check and bit the vet a few times when asked to step up...this was her favorite vet throughout the time she had to stay there, the little stinker! No blood was lost though or skin broken, so it was half hearted! She weighed 305 grams at the vet on Monday and was up to 310 grams today but is still on this rice kick that I can't seem to get her over...I'm not complaining at this point. She got another Vitamin B shot and an anti-nausea shot and we're going to just see how she does for the next few weeks before we try other things such as another CT scan. The straining while trying to poop has stopped. I guess she still has some bits of egg shell in her abdomen that they couldn't get out that could still be bothering her that will eventually absorb. She's bright and spunky and a rice eating fiend and weight is steadily improving at this point! You go girl!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww poor girl still having issues! I hope she puts some more weight on and feels better soon!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Man...poor girlie and you. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is she staying well hydrated, Jen. If she isn't, that could effect her pooping.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor birdie. I hope she continues to improve. If she likes rice, have you tried the Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes? My tiel loved them.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I did ask if it was the end of the world if she sat at around the 300 gram range and they don't think it's a bad weight for her although they'd like to see her more at 340 or 350 ideally. I guess 390 was a little pudgy, but 300 is not horrible. I believe she is drinking, nothing was said at the appointment about her looking dehydrated and I would have thought that they would have noticed right away. Her poops are also looking good now too...of course that might have something to do with her finally eating on a regular basis again! I have never tried the Higgins World Cuisine mixes before...I will definitely give it a try! Picky little Amazon!:) Thanks everyone for all the help with this feisty little yellow headed diva!:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Feisty. Yeah, that's a good Amazon term....Feisty!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad she is eating. Now sneak the good stuff into her rice.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully she put more weight on soon. Poor girl has been through so much!! Thanks for the update and of course being such a wonderful parront too. :hug8:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd used to squeak and make noises sometimes trying to poop. Whenever it happened we loaded him up on his favorite drink or cold water and it always fixed him right up. Figured between what he did or didn't eat and whether he drank as much as normal for him he'd get a bit dehydrated. He never got to the point where he couldn't go and liked getting attention and drinks.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is starting to feel better and, hopefully, she will start eating more and putting on weight.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I know I haven't updated this thread in a while and just thought I would post to let everyone know that Ams is off the rice kick and back to normal! I think the second Vitamin B shot did the trick! She is holding her own at 355 grams and has been for more than a week. I don't even worry about her eating anymore and just let her do as she pleases. I don't have to make anything special for her anymore, she's eating her pellets just fine and loves whatever I give her as supplemental food. I believe this end of the "eggnant" journey is over and we can close the door! I need to get some more recent pictures of her. She's such a good girl and I cannot tell everyone what a miracle girl she really is! She is so special!:heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
you Amazon lover you......

Congrats! Way to hang in there with her!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yeah! :dance4:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome update.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Geez! I weighed Miss Green Picky Eater this morning and she's exceeded my expectations! Dr. Parkinson said that she was a little overweight at 390 grams and would like to see her in the 350 gram to 360 gram range, so I was thrilled when she was sitting at 355 grams for several days and haven't weighed her in several days. Now she's at 380 grams the little piggy! Ok, so I'm not going to complain that much!:shy: She feels so great on my hand now when I carry her around! Last night I caught her trying to take a bath in her water dish and I had to put Clancy's food dish down to rush in and grab it before she tipped it over all over Addison who is below it! I gave her a nice big bowl for bathing in...she didn't want it! I can't convince any of my birds that this would be a great bowl for bathing...nice and big and shallow...what's up with that? I think I insulted Clancy in the process!:meh:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
you Amazon lover you......

Congrats! Way to hang in there with her!
I must admit...I'm an Amazon lover...sniffing them and all!:heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret will only bath herself in her water bowl. Not the crock bowl that is big and shallow.... I've only seen the bird use that bowl a couple of times and that was when I put them both in the bathtub.