• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ankle red/rubbed looking-slightly swollen foot

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I noticed today that my Beaksey's ankle looks pink and a little swollen. Just a little. Looking at his feet together the foot could be a tiny bit swollen as well, just a little. He's using it with no appearance of it bothering him. But I did notice when he was preening he took a long time on the feathers around the ankle and on his foot. I toweled him (the most pathetic toweling you have ever seen-It looks easy when they do it at the Vet!) to take a look at it and it just seems pink... not warm or anything. AND he bit the CACA out of me for doing it!

Anyone have any ideas if I should do anything for him? Is there any spray for animals if it has been rubbed sore playing?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Can you take a picture for us. It could be anything from rubbing it against something causing irritation, an early infection, dyed from food or a toy.

Rolanda

Okey Dokey... Here are two pictures. After trying for a bit and getting the one pic (please forgive the under carriage shot) hubby told me I had packages... I received some Chippy Wood so Beaks didn't mind chipping away with the offending foot in the air.
document-17.jpg

document-18.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Definitely looks like some irritation. Does he have other perches besides the dowel perch. Dowel perches and their uniform dimension are hard on birdie feet and legs. I would keep an eye on it. If he shows any sign of pain then definitely get him into the vet.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Looks like its not on a spot subject to rubbing on perches nor is it on the bottom of foot. Its red though so watch it. Could it be some berry juice or red toy dye?

Ouch..looks inflammed to me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If it were me I would visit the vet for a check up. There is some inflammation there and it could be painful if it continues. I guess you have checked everything in his cage to be sure the source is not mechanical in nature.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He also could've hit it, twisted it, or gotten stuck somewhere but managed to free himself on his own. Could also be a problem with the joint, but he's using it without any sign of distress or hesitation, right?

Rolanda

Thanks all...
The dowel is only on the playtop and he hardly ever uses it. He was using it then to get away from me and I ambushed him with a pomegranate seed so he stopped right where he was. In his cage he has Manzanita and cotton Boing perches.
It's not dye, and it does look a little swollen to me, and even his toes look a little puffy. He's using it fine, In fact we had a great time playing yesterday, but it looks like it would be sore to me.
I'm going to keep my eye on him this weekend and take him in on Monday (I've called his Vet and they're open) if I still think it looks the same or seems to be bothering him in the slightest.
Any further comments are appreciated!:xflove:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I didn't really think it was a problem with perches because I was sure I had seen inside cage pictures but decided it never hurts to educate.

Rolanda

He also could've hit it, twisted it, or gotten stuck somewhere but managed to free himself on his own. Could also be a problem with the joint, but he's using it without any sign of distress or hesitation, right?

Yes he is. I didn't expect him to use it to chip away at the wood BUT I guess it's easier than holding your body up.
I do like that PIC though (besides the little pink ankle :sad5:)... I caught a little heart shape he chipped at the right time.:heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwww. I had to go back and look. He's telling you he loves you........

..........and to buy valentine toys.