• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Angel's True Age

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Did you ever suspect that Angel was older than you thought before you found out. I have always wondered why the pet store I got Simon from had completely vanished 1 week after I got him. Now with Simon's arthritis I'm beginning to wonder if I was lied to about Simon's age. Even the vet has asked a few times how old Simon is.
Like I said to Victoria, people often claim animals are much younger than they really are thinking this will increase chances of adoption. From the sounds of Simon's condition I'd guess he is older than you were told too. If we knew their actual ages we could have maybe fed them a little differently or added things to their regimen more age appropriate. It certainly doesn't make any difference to how much we love them!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I took in Taco I was told that he was 12, but more experienced macaw parronts have told me he's probably much older based on his looks. I really, really wish I knew his age and his past.

I'm so glad you know Angel's history now, even if it isn't very pleasant. :hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
MC does a dead chicken routine for affection. Breaks my heart too.
I'm curious what that entails. :chin:

between bar hopping and the frat house we could write a book! What The Parrot Saw! LOL
Not a childrens' book, that's for sure. :ashamed1:

all i really knew was someone spent an awful lot of time teaching him these crazy stunts.
Well, that does mean his original owner spent a lot of one-on-one time with him. Angel might have been the definition of a companion parrot; the man's friend and confidant who went everywhere with him. True, beer and bars is no way to raise a parrot, but I think he was pretty well loved. :) Parlor tricks aren't any different than target training, playing birdie basket ball, or sorting colored discs. They're all just bonding games and clearly kept his mind stimulated. He's sharp as a tack and in seems to be in good feather. :pinksmile:

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm curious what that entails. :chin:

Not a childrens' book, that's for sure. :ashamed1:

Well, that does mean his original owner spent a lot of one-on-one time with him. Angel might have been the definition of a companion parrot; the man's friend and confidant who went everywhere with him. True, beer and bars is no way to raise a parrot, but I think he was pretty well loved. :) Parlor tricks aren't any different than target training, playing birdie basket ball, or sorting colored discs. They're all just bonding games and clearly kept his mind stimulated. He's sharp as a tack and in seems to be in good feather. :pinksmile:
Angel is an awesome guy for sure! He probably thinks the family style life here with me is rather dull by comparison though! He's very well socialized and chats with everyone, but will scoot behind my neck if anyone reaches out for him. He loves a croud and immediately goes into entertainment mode.

I'm not saying training a baby to do tricks isn't a good thing, it's the motive behind his training that makes me wonder just how much he really got to enjoy that one on one time. Playing Hide the Almond or Peek a Boo might have been a lot more fun for him.

His feathers are nearly perfect, except for some blood stains but I'm sure they will disappear in time. I just feel bad I wasn't able to clean him up better when it first happened but I didn't want to stress him out any more than he already was at the time. I've tried wiping with warm water but it's not coming off as easy as I'd hoped. So for now at least he looks like my little street fighter!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm curious about what kind of complex tricks he does. Decades ago I had a pionus that came to work with me at a magic shop (sadly, he died very young of congenital kidney disease). Miko LOVED performing. He knew how to flip upside-down, pick a card, and a few other tricks we'd worked out. His very favorite "trick," though, was one he invented himself.

The store had these glass-top display cases, and when Miko sat on them, people would assume he was a magic prop of some sort. So he'd sit on the counter and hold perfectly still as they strolled along, checking out the merchandise. Then, when they were directly above him, he'd ever-so-slightly turn his head to look up at them, causing them to jump back and squeal as they realized the bird was alive. He LOVED doing this, I assume because the reactions were so dramatic.

I imagine a bird doing tricks in a bar would get similarly extreme reactions. I could see him genuinely enjoying the time spent performing. He'd be getting lots of time with his human, lots of interaction with different people, and probably a ton of positive feedback for his tricks. As long as the bar wasn't smokey and they weren't actually giving him alcohol, I don't really see the problem.

That's why I'm asking about the tricks themselves. Are they things that would be uncomfortable or distressing for him to perform? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Well for instance while sitting on my shoulder he will tuck his head and do a full on somersault down my chest into waiting arms. While I'm sitting down with Angel perched on my stretched out arm he does a back flip into my lap. From sitting on my hand he front flips into the crook of my other arm landing on his back and procedes to act like a baby and make crying sounds. Sitting on a high play stand perch he "pretends" to be falling off and ends up dangling upside down by one foot and yells Help.

These are dangerous things to teach a bird. I wonder how many times he fell before he learned to do it correctly. And was he made to keep doing it until he got it right.

Not all of his tricks are dangerous. He has marvelous conversational skills and quite the sense of humor. My concern is what he went thru learning it all. I know the man who owned Angel for so many years obviously loved him very much. But did the tricks become more dangerous just to keep the bar patrons entertained and the free drinks coming? No one will pay to see the same old tricks over and over.

Anyway, I'm not encouraging Angel to do these stunts as he could get hurt. He still does the I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up routine every night at bedtime though!

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
HAPPY BIRD-DAY SWEET ANGEL and many more.
He sounds like a character, like Mister the African grey from the clinic. Mister was a 'cusser' though, alot of fowl language (pun intended). He knew every cuss word imaginable, and made up a few that nobody had ever heard. We would not respond to his potty beak other then to walk away. I got my finger pinch hard in a cage cleaning, but rather then saying a cuss word. I came out with 'sunk in the ditch'. Mister picked it up and woukd say every time I was cleaning cages.
Monster was up there in naughty ville too. Lots of cussing along hard nips. We would always walk away leaving him on stand or cage top.
There are times that we would have to run out the back door and laugh ourselves silly come back and work.
Any way Happy Birdday Angel.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor Angel missed out on all those presents.

:party::bdayparty::parade: