• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Angel's True Age

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have been notified that Angel is much older than I was told when I rescued him. I received an email stating that Angel belonged to an elderly man who had taught him tons of tricks and would take Angel into bars with him! Angel would do tricks and the man then got free drinks for the entertainment. When the gentleman passed, his grandson was given Angel. That's how Angel ended up being in a "frat" house drinking beer and cussing until he was finally confiscated and I was contacted to foster him. Angel is here to stay and no more beer for him!

I changed his age on my siggie so I guess we're celebrating many birthdays all at once!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, this is interesting! What a life Angel must have lived, not very healthy lol! Thank gosh you have him now. I was told Sammy was 7 years old when I got her but through my own research of her leg band she's much older than 7. More like 26/27.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
wow, this is interesting! What a life Angel must have lived, not very healthy lol! Thank gosh you have him now. I was told Sammy was 7 years old when I got her but through my own research of her leg band she's much older than 7. More like 26/27.
I think people always say pets are younger than they actually are so folks will more likely adopt them. I guess they don't realize that 20 or 30 is young for parrots! Sammy sure doesn't look her age either. Must be the face cream she uses! Lol

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What a history you have Angel! Many birthday wishes that were missed!
Oh my goodness, what a history! Happy belated many birthdays, Angel!! :starshower1:
At least I now know why Angel does all the crazy tricks. I don't have my babies for their entertainment value but rather for the good companionship. We all teach our babies cute little things but Angel I feel was forced to learn complicated stunts in order to benefit his previous owners wallet which I totally don't approve of.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Love it! Great to find history on our beloved babies.

:heart:
It sure explains Angel's crazy antics! I just don't like the idea that any animal thinks they have to "perform" in order to get love and attention they so rightly deserve. I have stopped asking Angel to do his stunts and just let him do things if he so chooses on his own. I want him to know that I love him without all the fancy tricks and try not to make a big deal when does go into performance mode. I knew something was different about him from the get go. My other babies are happy just sitting on my shoulder or cuddling, but Angel seemed to be always "on" and never really relaxed and just enjoyed being together. He's calmed down a lot since his surgery and will just sit with me and get his head scritched. Its just a shame that he was treated like a commodity instead of a best buddy.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC does a dead chicken routine for affection. Breaks my heart too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wait- if Angel is 21 doesn't that mean he now can drink? ;) Angel is very lucky to have you. I'm glad you decided to keep him. :xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Happy BirthdayS, Angel!

It's wonderful that you're now in a place that values you for being a Bird, not as an object for their entertainment...:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Lol! Just don't tell Angel he's old enough! I finally got him to stop yelling Gimme a F-ing Beer!
Now that there is funny, even though it's not. But still if he could talk and tell us the things he's seen oh my lol!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Did you ever suspect that Angel was older than you thought before you found out. I have always wondered why the pet store I got Simon from had completely vanished 1 week after I got him. Now with Simon's arthritis I'm beginning to wonder if I was lied to about Simon's age. Even the vet has asked a few times how old Simon is.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Did you ever suspect that Angel was older than you thought before you found out. I have always wondered why the pet store I got Simon from had completely vanished 1 week after I got him. Now with Simon's arthritis I'm beginning to wonder if I was lied to about Simon's age. Even the vet has asked a few times how old Simon is.
I only suspected that Angel was stunt/trick trained way more than the average companion parrot. I'm still only guessing at his actual age as I was only recently told that he's at least 20.

I had a glass of soda last evening and Angel climbed on the rim and proceeded to inch around it in circles. I told him to get down before it spilled and he replied Ok, One More....he went around 1 more time and got down then said Angel's a Good Boy!

So all i really knew was someone spent an awful lot of time teaching him these crazy stunts.