• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And the screaming stopped....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
First time I noticed this thread.

I am so glad the situation has worked itself out. :)

Knowing Howie (and Elvis ;)) I always felt,down deep, that he really does like Elvis. I don't think he could understand why Elvis would bite him and he became discouraged...and disillusioned with E.

Reading the info John recommended did make a huge difference.
I will say Howie and Elvis had a couple rough days this week. But completely Howie's fault because he reacted to the screams. Training Howie is harder than training Elvis . Eye roll. But it's still much better than it was.
...there's going to be good days...and not so good days...it's an ongoing "battle"...every day...;)

Max83

Walking the driveway
do you guys think this method of non reacting can be used even for other similar problems?

I mean parrots that get over excited when see the favourite human walking by the room and start flying inside the cage like crazy risking of injuring themselves?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That would be neat! it probably could and it's definitely worth a try -especially in that case.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
First time I noticed this thread.

I am so glad the situation has worked itself out. :)

Knowing Howie (and Elvis ;)) I always felt,down deep, that he really does like Elvis. I don't think he could understand why Elvis would bite him and he became discouraged...and disillusioned with E.

Reading the info John recommended did make a huge difference.

...there's going to be good days...and not so good days...it's an ongoing "battle"...every day...;)

I definitely do think Howie felt betrayed somehow by Elvis biting him. Especially since I can do anything to Elvis and he just lets me. I really think it has to do with Elvis "liking" Howie and getting frustrated that they weren't more than friends. I'm just Elvis's buddy. And it took awhile for me to come to that conclusion because I think everyone automatically assumes that since I'm the female Elvis sees me as his "mate" and is defending me. But I really don't think that's the case.

I do highly recommend the no reacting to a screaming bird. It's hard at first. Especially when no reacting means not leaving the room, not looking at him, etc. But Elvis picked up on it very quickly. It doesn't mean he's still not going to test you but he's quiet now for Howie more times than he's not. Which is saving MY sanity. LOL.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@sunnysmom What behavior did Howie reward instead? It says you can't reward quiet because that's not a behavior. I look for ANY other behavior to reward Puffin for, but before I can open my mouth to praise her she starts screaming again. I'm so afraid I'll be praising her just as she attests screaming and she'll think that's what I'm praising her for. :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@sunnysmom What behavior did Howie reward instead? It says you can't reward quiet because that's not a behavior. I look for ANY other behavior to reward Puffin for, but before I can open my mouth to praise her she starts screaming again. I'm so afraid I'll be praising her just as she attests screaming and she'll think that's what I'm praising her for. :confused:
I'll tell you what I do. I go about doing whatever it was I was doing. Even if I was interacting with them. I pretend to be deaf. I do not hear them scream. It is not happening. With TOOZ as smart as they are they figure out this screaming thing does NOTHING very quickly.

RP - Screaming 101

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is wonderful news! Many congrats!!!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My problem is that the fiancé actually LIKES the screaming!!! Is he mad or what?! He says it's what birds do and he finds it funny and cute!

Like what am I meant to do with that? Not all of us grew up with loud honking geese waking them up at 6am, unlike him :banghead::laugh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you watch 2 Toos having a screaming match it's a lot more like a conversation /singing. It's not screaming to them. It's communication. I embrace it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'll tell you what I do. I go about doing whatever it was I was doing. Even if I was interacting with them. I pretend to be deaf. I do not hear them scream. It is not happening. With TOOZ as smart as they are they figure out this screaming thing does NOTHING very quickly.
This does work...I used this technique with Cassie and Milton when they would begin screaming. I just looked at them...they would stop screaming and look back at me, as if to say "Don't you hear me?"
Then they'd fluff up, shake it off, and go about their business...meanwhile, in my mind, I'm chuckling...but I never show any emotion to them...;)
If you watch 2 Toos having a screaming match it's a lot more like a conversation /singing. It's not screaming to them. It's communication. I embrace it.
...and yes, there are some times when I'll start a screamfest with Milton...and as you say, it's a conversation between us..my wife is always amazed at the conversations...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I actually do praise quiet sometimes, but more so when he's quietly playing. If he's screaming and then he starts playing with his clips, I tell him what a good boy he is and hang more clips for him. And when he's preening or whatever I talk to him, tell him he's handsome, etc. I usually don't interact as soon as he's quiet. I wait a little bit and then I start. Elvis is actually pretty good in general when it's just the two of us. The screaming more so occurs when Howie's there but it's definitely improved. One of my semi-arguments with Howie is that Howie thinks Elvis should be quiet all the time. I tell him that's not the case. It's okay for Elvis to scream sometimes. He's a 'too. It's just the screaming for attention or to get out of his cage that we have to not reinforce.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's okay for Elvis to scream sometimes. He's a 'too.
I have a deep respect for Elvis's vocalizations...he was especially forceful when it was bed time...I'd give him the "deaf treatment" like the other 'toos...and he always responded the same way...with that incredulous look he has. ;)

One time, I did break..I told him, (after he started screaming) "You'll have to do better than that"....he looked at me and started saying "I Love Elvis"...:rolleyes:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a deep respect for Elvis's vocalizations...he was especially forceful when it was bed time...I'd give him the "deaf treatment" like the other 'toos...and he always responded the same way...with that incredulous look he has. ;)

One time, I did break..I told him, (after he started screaming) "You'll have to do better than that"....he looked at me and started saying "I Love Elvis"...:rolleyes:
Lol. He does know when to use I love Elvis. Lol.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I go about doing whatever it was I was doing. Even if I was interacting with them. I pretend to be deaf. I do not hear them scream. It is not happening.
Oh! I thought the article @sunnysmom was referencing was the Pamela Clark one that said not to only ignore them but to also find a positive behavior to praise. :facepalm: I'll read the Rational Parrot one next. Thank you for the link!
I used this technique with Cassie and Milton when they would begin screaming. I just looked at them...they would stop screaming and look back at me, as if to say "Don't you hear me?"
Then they'd fluff up, shake it off, and go about their business
Again, thinking she meant the Pamela Clark article was what helped, I was trying not to do anything out of the ordinary, including look at them because that is acknowledging them and rewarding the screaming. But that also makes it nearly impossible to see when they're doing something positive. :bored:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh! I thought the article @sunnysmom was referencing was the Pamela Clark one that said not to only ignore them but to also find a positive behavior to praise. :facepalm: I'll read the Rational Parrot one next. Thank you for the link!
Again, thinking she meant the Pamela Clark article was what helped, I was trying not to do anything out of the ordinary, including look at them because that is acknowledging them and rewarding the screaming. But that also makes it nearly impossible to see when they're doing something positive. :bored:
I think I was referencing the other article as I do follow the ignore/praise advise. I do work on completing ignoring him when he's having a complete screaming fit. And it's hard but it does seem to work for Elvis because he's all about attention. Now, if I'm in the kitchen or something, I do call to him to let him know it's okay but if I'm in the room and he's still screaming then I do the ignore the screaming and praise when he stops.