• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And the screaming stopped....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So Elvis and the fiancé have had issues for awhile. One being that Elvis would scream all day for Howie. I have tried to get Howie to read about parrot behavior for months now. But I finally got him to read the screaming article that @JLcribber posted not long ago. I told Howie it could take a couple weeks for it to work but that he needed to read the article and follow the advice.

One day. It took one day for Elvis get it. Howie read the article Sunday night of last week. Monday, I came home form work and the two were quietly sitting in the living room watching TV together (Elvis in his cage). It's been like that since then. So while part of me is over joyed, the other part of me wants to stab my fiancé (not literally) for taking this long to finally do something and reading something about stopping screaming. One day..... after months of listening to Howie complain... :banghead: (And it also proves to me that Elvis is scary smart.) But the screaming has stopped. :D

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is amazing news! I bet that Will do wonders for Howie’s view on Elvis:) and indeed, man, Elvis is smart!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
OMG, Howie!!!:faint: Elvis is so smart and catches on super quick, but Howie, eh...:shrug3:
Well, I guess we all learn at our own pace!:hehe:
But seriously, that’s awesome! I’m so glad that got straightened out so quickly!:dance4:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - that's GREAT! ::: now running around removing all sharp objects from @sunnysmom home ::::: :hehe:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Wowser! :marlenesmile:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I'm just curious...what did he (fiance) do as a result of the article that was different from what he was doing before?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm just curious...what did he (fiance) do as a result of the article that was different from what he was doing before?
The article says not to react at all to the screaming. Don't look at the bird, talk to him, walk out of the room, etc. Howie did all of those. Would tell him to be quiet. Would move his cage into the other room. Would get mad and leave the room. Everything you shouldn't do. So by completely ignoring the screaming and then praising and giving attention to Elvis when he was quiet, Elvis stopped screaming for attention.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
All I can say is "wow" you have an amazing biird (or luck) if he responded overnight like that. And a Goffins no less. Most people don't have such luck with them, become exasperated, the bird becomes a mess, and they end up rehoming. If you could bottle that, parrot behaviorists would be out of business overnight as well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
All I can say is "wow" you have an amazing biird (or luck) if he responded overnight like that. And a Goffins no less. Most people don't have such luck with them, become exasperated, the bird becomes a mess, and they end up rehoming. If you could bottle that, parrot behaviorists would be out of business overnight as well.
That's actually why I waited a week to post about it because I couldn't believe how quickly it worked. But it's been a week and a half now and it's still working. I do think I'm blessed (or cursed - LOL) with a super smart bird. I don't know a lot about his past except for the past few years but according to the woman who turned him into the rescue, he didn't even know how to step up when she got him. It's a shame that over the years no one apparently really worked with him because he is smart and picks up things so quickly. I actually feel guilty that I don't spend more time working on actual training with him- something I hope to do more of. He is potty trained too. I don't know if someone taught him that or if he just did it on his own. Although I'm not in favor generally of potty training, he is really adamant about it.

In trying to work with him on step up, I apparently would tap twice to get him to come to me. It was something I did without really realizing I was doing it. He now taps twice with his beak to let me know he wants to stay where he is. LOL. Like if I want him to get off the top of his cage, he taps twice on his cage to tell me- no, I want to stay here. He also rubs his beak against my face to tell me he has to go to the bathroom and wants to go back to his cage. All things that he taught himself....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Up to this point Elvis has been in charge and smarter than Howie.

Funny how a little knowledge leads to so much power eh? :D

I'm also surprised it only took one day. This game ain't over yet. Howie needs to stay on top of his game. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Up to this point Elvis has been in charge and smarter than Howie.

Funny how a little knowledge leads to so much power eh? :D

I'm also surprised it only took one day. This game ain't over yet. Howie needs to stay on top of his game. :)
Well, I am convinced that Elvis is smarter than both of us. LOL. I am hoping that this is giving Howie some insight into how teachable Elvis can be if you do it properly. And although I would like to see the day come when Elvis and Howie can hang out together again outside of the cage, I realize it might not happen. But at least if they can hang out together with Elvis is his cage, it makes life better for all of us. Howie doesn't feel like he has to stay on a different floor than Elvis. Elvis has company when I'm not home. And I don't come home to a completely aggravated fiancé and a frantic Elvis.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh I have one of those stubborn types ( hubby not bird-lol) too.....after being nice & trying to teach Mr Know It All , I finally had to get sarcastic , then had to tell him he was the one causing the issues because that's what he was rewarding the bird for-Do Not React-I know very hard to do but we are raising 2 year olds here, ( bird or hubby, you choose-lol) So happy it is working out for you, everyone will be much happier.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Simply amazing! Your patience has paid off well. In another home as said Elvis would have been re homed again. Bless you for having the understanding of the bird world. Thank Howie too for taking his time to finally read the article. Good job all 3 of you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh I have one of those stubborn types ( hubby not bird-lol) too.....after being nice & trying to teach Mr Know It All , I finally had to get sarcastic , then had to tell him he was the one causing the issues because that's what he was rewarding the bird for-Do Not React-I know very hard to do but we are raising 2 year olds here, ( bird or hubby, you choose-lol) So happy it is working out for you, everyone will be much happier.
Yes, I often think Elvis is easier to manage than the fiance. Lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Simply amazing! Your patience has paid off well. In another home as said Elvis would have been re homed again. Bless you for having the understanding of the bird world. Thank Howie too for taking his time to finally read the article. Good job all 3 of you.
Thanks. I will say Howie and Elvis had a couple rough days this week. But completely Howie's fault because he reacted to the screams. Training Howie is harder than training Elvis . Eye roll. But it's still much better than it was.