• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And Elvis is back to being Elvis. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Not to jinx myself, but I think I have my Elvis back. The hormonal period is over- I think and hope. My sweet little bird gave us a run for our money these past few weeks. Wow. Screaming. Screaming. Screaming. And just as suddenly as it started, it seems to have stopped. And when he was screaming, nothing would make him stop. Ignoring him. Paying attention to him. Treats. Toys. Nothing. And yesterday, he went back to being a cute, playful, QUIET, birdie. Apparently all the goffins at our rescue have been acting up. Weird that the change of season seemed to affect them all so much. And apparently, it was really just the goffins. The rescue's main foster mom said the other cockatoos seemed normal. Such a relief to have Elvis back to normal. (Before my fiancé strangled us both. ;) LOL. )

:dance4::dance4::dance4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How many times a year do you think he will be in hormonal screaming?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How many times a year do you think he will be in hormonal screaming?
I guess it could be twice- spring and fall? I wasn't expecting hormones in the fall. I believe we started fostering him in April though and he wasn't like this. Sunny went through a really bad hormonal period only once in the years we had him. So, I'm not sure what to expect with Elvis- if this will be a regular thing or not. At least he was never bitey, etc. Just loud. Very loud.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would invest in a good pair of ear plugs

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella gets hormonal a few times a year and boy does she scream. I can't imagine a too. But I'm glad that he is quiet.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Maybe I can bring Scully over so Elvis can tell him that hormones should be over, haha! Glad Elvis is back to normal.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:fingerscrossed:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe I can bring Scully over so Elvis can tell him that hormones should be over, haha! Glad Elvis is back to normal.

LOL. And bring Harley and we'll have a play date. So far, so good. I think Elvis is back to just being crazy and not loud and crazy. ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I guess it could be twice- spring and fall?
Milton has his hormonal screaming in the spring when the days get noticeably longer. It usually comes with the desire to burrow and hide under blankets, newspapers and such. When you lift the blanket or whatever off, Milty will start with the "This is a great place to nest, come hither" clicking.

This is a most dangerous time for my wife...or any other human, because Milty chose me a long time ago as his "mate"...Kathy must use extreme caution being around Milty and I then. It was the same with Cassie...she also chose me as her "mate"...Cass would chase Kathy out of the room during her "silly season"...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Milton has his hormonal screaming in the spring when the days get noticeably longer. It usually comes with the desire to burrow and hide under blankets, newspapers and such. When you lift the blanket or whatever off, Milty will start with the "This is a great place to nest, come hither" clicking.

This is a most dangerous time for my wife...or any other human, because Milty chose me a long time ago as his "mate"...Kathy must use extreme caution being around Milty and I then. It was the same with Cassie...she also chose me as her "mate"...Cass would chase Kathy out of the room during her "silly season"...

Fortunately, Elvis didn't get aggressive at all. He actually didn't even want to come and hang out on the couch with us. He just wanted to stand on his cage and scream. I would probably be the one in trouble if he did because he likes Howie more than he likes me, but I don't know if he even sees Howie as his "mate". His crush maybe? I was definitely Sunny's person and the one time Sunny got crazy hormonal he did attack Howie (which was actually kind of funny seeing my tiny tiel going after my 6'2'' fiancé- well, at least it was for me ;). For Howie, not so much.) Elvis in general seems to be a pretty independent bird. He wants us in the room with him but is more than happy to play by himself. Actually, prefers it. I'll be curious if Jake (@BirdGuy21) and I are able to set up a play date how Elvis will react. There are other goffins currently up for adoption at the rescue but I don't know how Elvis would do with another bird. At his other foster home, he seemed to be uninterested in other birds. It might be one of those things like with Sunny that he spent so many years as the only bird that he associates with people more than birds now.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'll be curious if Jake (@BirdGuy21) and I are able to set up a play date how Elvis will react.
At his other foster home, he seemed to be uninterested in other birds. It might be one of those things like with Sunny that he spent so many years as the only bird that he associates with people more than birds now.
That would be interesting. Milton has ignored every bird he's seen with us...except Buddy. I think he and Buddy have too much in common..in attitude, for example, so they kind of naturally clash. Milty has been a little more accepting of Buddy lately, though. I know that they're not going to become buddies, but I'd settle grudging acceptance...;)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You are a brave soul.
:hug8:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'll be curious if Jake (@BirdGuy21) and I are able to set up a play date how Elvis will react.
We need to set that up! I'll be really curious as to how Harley reacts as well, he typically ignores other birds or flies away from them. The only exception was a CAG he met a few months ago, he mostly ignored him but was really interested in watching what he was doing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We need to set that up! I'll be really curious as to how Harley reacts as well, he typically ignores other birds or flies away from them. The only exception was a CAG he met a few months ago, he mostly ignored him but was really interested in watching what he was doing.
Yes, we do. Maybe sometime after Thanksgiving.........

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Boo was a maniac for a few weeks too. He bit me, rushed me, and tried to pull me through the cage bars by the hair... It was a long haul, but we made it. It is so tough because you don't really know what to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Boo was a maniac for a few weeks too. He bit me, rushed me, and tried to pull me through the cage bars by the hair... It was a long haul, but we made it. It is so tough because you don't really know what to do.

I guess I had it easy in comparison. Elvis just screamed. You do feel bad because I know it couldn't be fun for him either. I'm glad Boo is back to normal too.