• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An Introduction to Clicker Training

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Good Thread, now to figure out how to do it...I feel dumb :rofl:
I still feel very dumb now as the higher I climb, the more the horizon receded that I felt I knew even less compared to what I felt I need to know.
I am content to remain a student as experts are a dime dozen with their infallible truths together with their hail and brimstone that will come with their pearls scattered to others.

For some of my irrelevent thoughts on clicker training.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
if you forgotten about clicker training

Tinkerbell Legacy - VH parrot and Clicker Training Rant 06
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Tinkerbell Legacy - VH parrot and Clicker Training Rant 06 (clicker training)

To Shanlung-Charlie and clicker training
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - To Shanlung-Charlie and clicker training

Charlie and clicker training - beyond touch target //LiBai on finger and in slow motion videos —
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Charlie and clicker training - beyond touch target //LiBai on finger and in slow motion videos

Some thoughts on clicker - The initial experience with Tinkerbell
clicker-L-somethoughtsonclickera

Clicker training and bonding with Tinkerbell
clicker-L-ctbondinga

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thank you for the pearls of wisdom.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Thank you for the pearls of wisdom.
:rofl:

Ha ha ha ha!

:lol:

Since what I wrote came without hail and brimestone, that can only be irrelevant ramblings that is suitable to be mocked at! :D

Aphios

Meeting neighbors
Great post Vicki!! :hug8:

Here is the link to the official clicker training Yahoo group that has all the articles to learn step by step.

Yahoo Groups. Bird-click. (Clicker Training)
Is there a way I can open this link because whenever I click on it it says "cannot process GET request" . DO you know if the link is still valid?

Also, to those of you who can help me with this, do you know of a good way to train nodding or shaking head with target training, or tricks like dance, flap, high "four" and such? I would love if you could share your methods for a few of these as I am not sure how to target train those trick or similar ones.

Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
What can I use instead of the clicker? I can't find any in the petshops. Is there anything that can be used instead of an classic parrot clicker? Or something I can make myself to replace it. Something that makes that click sound. If you have any ideas throw them back at me ;) :tieln:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
What can I use instead of the clicker? I can't find any in the petshops. Is there anything that can be used instead of an classic parrot clicker? Or something I can make myself to replace it. Something that makes that click sound. If you have any ideas throw them back at me ;) :tieln:
you can make a clicking sound with your voice

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
any tic that you can make as a sound can work i used the sound to start a horse that i learned as a kid

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
The reason a clicker is good is because it is instant and a consistent noise. I'm not sure where you live but Pet Supermarket, Petco, and PetSmart all carry them here in South Florida. Look n the dog training area. Just ask a clerk for help. You can also order them online. Even a Snapple cap can work. You can get them at birdtricksstore.com as well.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I do agree that you can train a bird without a clicker, but if clicker training is easier, then why would you use a harder training methodology.

The clicker is the bridge between you and your bird and you use that bridge to highlight the bird’s desired behaviour to your bird. Training treats are not the bridge, they are the reward at the end of the bridge and patience is the time taken to go over the bridge. There are excises available to help get the timing of the clicker right, like bouncing a tennis ball and clicking each time the tennis ball hits the ground.

The results of positive reinforcement training, specifically Clicker Training in dogs, have been nothing short of astounding. Behaviours and achievements in dog sports that took months or years to achieve using Traditional methods are now being accomplished by experienced trainers in a matter of days and weeks. Yet in the face of such amazing success, a number of misconceptions and half-truths circulate about clicker training and positive reinforcement.

It is scientifically proven that in order for the animal to connect their behavior with the reward, the trainer must deliver the reward within 0.8 of a second. that is impossibly fast in most cases. Then as soon as you move to give the reward to the animal, your animal will most likely refocus on you, which will delay or even completely jeopardize the training, because now the animal is being rewarded for focusing on you and not for the original behavior that you were intending to reward.

Nearly 80 years ago the traditional animal training was being believed to be a hindrance, by methods of praise and reward then in use, because it didn’t inform the animal of success with enough promptness and precision to create the required cognitive connections for fast learning. enter Clicker training methodology, this animal training method which is based on a bridging stimulus (the clicker) in operant conditioning. The system uses conditioned reinforcers, which can deliver more quickly and more precisely than primary reinforces such as food and praise. The "clicker" is used to precisely mark the desired behaviour. When training a new behaviour, the clicker helps the animal to quickly identify the precise behaviour that results in a training treat. This technique is popular with dog trainers, but has been used for all kinds of domestic and wild animals. Sometimes, instead of a click to mark the desired behaviour, other distinctive sounds are made such as "whistle, a cluck of the tongue, a snap of the fingers, a word, visual or other sensory cues (such as a flashlight, hand sign, or vibrating collar), especially helpful for deaf animals. The term "bridging stimulus" was coined in the 1940s to refer to the function of a secondary reinforcer such as a whistle or click.

The first stage in clicker training is teaching the animal to associate the clicker sound or another chosen marker such as a whistle or word with a training treat. When the sound marker is used, a training treat is immediately offered. The sound marker is used to signal that a desired behaviour has occurred. Some approaches are:

1. capturing: catching the animal in the act of doing a desired behaviour, for example hanging upside down or hopping. Eventually the animal learns to repeat the behaviour for a treat.

2. shaping: gradually building a new behavior by rewarding each small step toward it, for example training the parrot to turn around.

3. Target training: using a stick to get the animal to move to a desired location or position.

The last stage once the behaviour is learnt, is to add a cue for the desired behaviour, this can be a word or a hand signal. The animal will have learnt that after completing the desired behaviour a treat is on the way. Once a behaviour is learnt and is on cue (command), the clicker and the treats are faded out.

So in a nutshell, clicker training achieves better cognitive connections results.