• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An attempt at bird bread

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
5BD73E03-62C9-4B73-8932-9650C290C9CA.jpeg AE76B9D3-E95C-4052-89BC-1B4B5B93E944.jpeg I hope it will work, and most importantly that Charlie will like it! I will keep you guys updated :)

Here is what i used:

1 egg with shell
2 tsp applesauce
2 tsp egg food mix
1 tsp seed mix
2 big tbsp whole wheat flour

I am aware I should have crushed the egg shell more lol... I was in a rush, I will next time!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Looks good! :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
57887265-A5DF-44F9-B1E3-B63D684D50E7.jpeg 4614C28A-1D56-496D-A255-54D98418E8BE.jpeg A03CA11A-FB02-4154-A580-9968982B0041.jpeg
Here is the result after 25 minutes in the oven at 350F! It looks and smells so yummy :heart: Charlie isn't interested in it yet but I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time, I would eat it myself if it wasn't for the egg shells and seeds, lol!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh my goodness Charlie is so cute! The birdie bread looks great!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks delicious!! :eat: Charlie est si mignon! :xflove:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hey not to be a Debbie downer but egg shell shards are dangerous. I wouldn’t feed that to your bird. Try again.
Oh my gosh, I didn't think about that, thank you so much for your comment!! :blink: Thankfully I didn't see him swallow any or cut himself but I'll make sure to remove every single one I see in his bread and crush em properly next time!! Or not add any at all... maybe add cuttlebone instead.. I'll see! I don't want my baby to have a punctured crop! :hungover:

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Charlie l'approuve. Il est vraiment précieux. :tielmu:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh my gosh, I didn't think about that, thank you so much for your comment!! :blink: Thankfully I didn't see him swallow any or cut himself but I'll make sure to remove every single one I see in his bread and crush em properly next time!! Or not add any at all... maybe add cuttlebone instead.. I'll see! I don't want my baby to have a punctured crop! :hungover:
You’re welcome. If you pulverize them in the blender they will be okay I think. Just so there are no sharp bits.

Megamacawlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
I love the idea of a smaller ramekin batch! My birdie bread always goes yucky or I freeze some of it and the ones I freeze and defrost get snubbed half the time! It looks like it cooks through great. I've heard the egg shells are really good for them too, but also worried about the shells so I didn't know the proper way to handle it. People talk about scrambling them into eggs for their fids and I could never quite figure out how they did that without fear. I was thinking about adding the shell to my next batch, and probably would have done it similarly if I had, so I'm happy to have read the comment too!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
You’re welcome. If you pulverize them in the blender they will be okay I think. Just so there are no sharp bits.
I don't have a blender unfortunately but I do have a pestle and mortar :) I'll make sure to powder them!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I love the idea of a smaller ramekin batch! My birdie bread always goes yucky or I freeze some of it and the ones I freeze and defrost get snubbed half the time! It looks like it cooks through great. I've heard the egg shells are really good for them too, but also worried about the shells so I didn't know the proper way to handle it. People talk about scrambling them into eggs for their fids and I could never quite figure out how they did that without fear. I was thinking about adding the shell to my next batch, and probably would have done it similarly if I had, so I'm happy to have read the comment too!
It did cook through the ramekin very well! Just make sure it's oven safe :) As @saroj12 just said, make sure you powder the egg shell so that there is not sharp bits! I'm glad my mistake could prevent yours :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Bird bread take two!

I call this one: Broccoli Burst! - Bird Bread Salty Edition :)

1 egg with shell (powdered)
Whole wheat flour
Mashed Tropican pellets
Tropimix for small birds
Broccoli
Water
Oats

Approved by Charlie once again :)

E82CD94C-83E6-4EF3-B82B-2CE2AE65107D.jpeg 708E2636-AAD5-4883-9B73-670B92F1D450.jpeg 819694C3-692D-4858-B6A3-A73D8872A4AA.jpeg

I plan to freeze one of the ramekins, you can do that with bird bread right?
Also, how long can it stay at room temp i.e in food bowls or foraging toys? Thanks!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you use coconut oil or red palm oil and sweet potato you will have more vit. A which is so important. One more note on egg shells the shell should be washed or sterilized before use. I skip the shell.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
If you use coconut oil or red palm oil and sweet potato you will have more vit. A which is so important. One more note on egg shells the shell should be washed or sterilized before use. I skip the shell.
Thank you for the tips! I'm always looking for ways to make my bread more nutritious :) And might use cuttlebone next time

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dont forget spices like cinnamon