• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures An argument for same species friends

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Fred was my first large parrot and was a rescue who spent the first ten years of his life cage bound with few if any appropriate toys. He was angry, quick to strike and hard to calm down. We made a little headway with him by having him come out to enjoy flying time (though mostly he glided and fell) and eating oatmeal mash with us. But he still seemed sad.

Then we got the call from the rescue that a female severe came in needing a home so we took her in, all the while worried that Fred would not be able to be around any other birds because of all of his issues.

And here is Mr cranky pants himself Fred getting groomed by Ethel...that look on his face is pure bird bliss . (The pic is bad because I had to take it from a literal room away or they’d stop to yell at me because my hands were sadly empty of mash.) 6A36757F-80F9-4370-B85F-447EB05183C7.jpeg

They groom each other and play together (Fred hadn’t even destroyed a single toy before Ethel.) They bicker over who gets to eat first of course when it’s mash time (Ethel always wins) and snuggle together at night in their favorite corner of the aviary.

Fred is still the same cranky guy with people, but he’s a happy bird with Ethel and it’s such a difference. :heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Not sure what happened to the title but it should end on the word “friends” lol. :faint::rolleyes:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh they are just gorgeous!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Beautiful! It’s so good of you to get him a companion since he doesn’t enjoy humans. (Rightly so after all that neglect)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
What an adorable picture, and I'm glad to hear Fred has found some happiness at last :heart::heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
As long as they both are happy and don't hurt each other that is a win. Now you have time to work on slowly winning his trust if he'll let you. If she likes you he may slowly follow her lead as she does cool things with you and he'll want to be involved. Either way as long as they're happy that will do.