• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An adoptable baby

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So we’ve been in contact with Phoenix Landing over the last few months hoping to adopt a parrot that will fit our lifestyle. Ron emailed me last night with an option to adopt a very young female Eclectus. She got her foot caught in a towel and while the breeder wanted to euthanize her, the vet saved her life and now she has a little peg leg. She is not quite weaned but will come to us weaned and after all vet visits are complete. I love these birds and have always wanted one, however, my concern for their diet is making me question this. How time consuming is their diet? Me and Ron both were doing research last night before I give him the final answer. I have two kids, a full time job, and then my other parrots and dogs. Would I be taking away from her having a full life? I’m not sure I could provide exactly what she needs. Or is it more simple than it sounds? How much of an adjustment would I be making if I brought her in? How does your diet work? I know I can’t leave it in long, and I’m worried that I won’t be able to provide her with what she needs. I know I always overthink things, hence why I am coming here and doing research before I say yes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Got some pictures of her today. It would be awhile before we could bring her home, as she is only 18 weeks old and still recovering due to the surgery. Her caretaker has named her Peg but I’m not sure we would keep that name if she came to live with us. She is absolutely adorable

12231CE7-0C27-4E48-B4BD-4B8391BEE916.png F87BD494-2853-4FB1-B4A2-69331F887A82.png 5BD099C8-F247-42A0-915D-8FCC1C5576EC.png

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
You can do the Ekkies diet. It isn't hard. Lots of fresh veggies and some fresh fruit.
Mine even had pellets and some seed. She has since passed away and I miss her cooing and sweet noises.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My husband wants to take her on and I do too. Something in her eyes speaks to me the way Diego did. Did you leave yours out for about 2 hours and then take it out?

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Awwww such a sad story but sounds like it is going to have a happy ending. Good luck peg, we will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I didn't worry about taking the food back up after two hours. I couldn't. I worked.
The food will be fine if it is left out more than two hours.
People who work all day leave it out.
You can make their diet easy. Just chop up some fresh food each morning (or night before) from what you eat before you butter it.
You do not have to make it a huge project. It's nice if you do, but seriously, cut yourself some slack.
You can provide that parrot exactly what she needs...love.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I didn't worry about taking the food back up after two hours. I couldn't. I worked.
The food will be fine if it is left out more than two hours.
People who work all day leave it out.
You can make their diet easy. Just chop up some fresh food each morning (or night before) from what you eat before you butter it.
You do not have to make it a huge project. It's nice if you do, but seriously, cut yourself some slack.
You can provide that parrot exactly what she needs...love.
Thank you. This is what we needed to hear. We will hopefully be bringing her home in a few weeks if everything goes as planned.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
If you have problems you can PM me. I live in Maryland and I can drive a long ways now (didn't used to be able to due to health reasons).
I'd be more than happy to meet with you at a Phoenix Landing get together if you want me to.
I love looking at their toys and buying them when I have the money.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I’ll let you know. As of right now we are hoping to meet in Richmond but that hasn’t been confirmed yet. Her foster is in MD now that I think about it.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Fresh raw vegetables can safely stay out all day. It is cooked veggies, rice, etc, you have to be careful of as bacteria starts growing on it within 20 minutes.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this little girl! :)

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Fresh raw vegetables can safely stay out all day. It is cooked veggies, rice, etc, you have to be careful of as bacteria starts growing on it within 20 minutes.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this little girl! :)
I can do the cooked stuff at night with my other ones. That is great to hear!

I can’t wait to bring her home :)

Just have to get the right cage and wait for her to be ready!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Peg. Now she is getting the care she needs and soon she will be in a home where she is given star treatment.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Sorry I just saw this now. I’ll type up what we do for our Eckie Gillian tomorrow!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I don't consider the diet very time consuming, but we already fed a significant amount of fresh to our flock before adopting Gillian. It does require some more thought out planning and trips to the grocery store as fresh spoils faster than pellets.

In the morning for breakfast Gill gets a rough chop mix of a variety of leafy greens and veggies, we mix it up depending on whats on sale and if shes getting picky about her current recipe. It usually contains a mix of the following- brussell sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, kale, dandelion greens, and a little bit of apple or banana. For dinner she gets our finely made chop, cut up in the food processor. We make large batches of this at a time and freeze it. It contains anywhere from ten-twenty veggies and some low moisture fruit. We mix this up with things like lightly cooked sweet potato, Higgins Worldly Cuisines, and her favorite-sprouts.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Here are a few more pictures of her that were sent to me this morning. I am so in love with this little girl already! If no one is traveling to NC this week for transport, we will be picking her up next Saturday :) 534AA5C1-63F9-4A3D-ACEC-01D11C59C737.jpeg F682BD1B-0260-48AB-998A-2DA02AF9DF73.jpeg

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
She is absolutely beautiful and I bet she will make a great bird . Is Debbie raising her at the moment ?