• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

amount/type of treats for training caique

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
I'm struggling to figure out what exactly to feed my caique as a reward when I'm trying to teach her a trick.

I started with sunflower seeds because they're small, but the more I read the more I'm nervous that they're too high in fat... when I'm trying to teach her a trick I might end up giving her like 10-12 sunflower seeds in a session (never more than 1 session/day), and that seems like a really high volume for a little bird. That said, I can't think of anything that's a whole lot smaller... maybe I could try to crush an almond into small pieces? Or should I try non-food rewards (i.e. lots of praise) ? -- not sure that'll work now that she's had a taste of sunflower seeds :rolleyes:
What have you all tried?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can buy almonds in slivers and also often other nuts pre chopped (or chop them yourself :) ) I’ve used them and pine nuts. I’m not sure of the amount you could safely use for a caique though.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Maybe try cutting the sunflower seeds in half? If she’s young, I wouldn’t worry too much about it though. Young birds need a higher fat diet because they’re growing. As she grows, you can be more cautious.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I dont try trick training with mine, but I get them to be pretty amenable ( for a caique) by praising the beheaviours I like and making a big fuss.

Of course with babies its different. They're full of energy. I treat Num Nums by finger wrestling her or throwing her up in the air backwards

Attention is the best treat IMHO

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When they were babies I used tiny pieces of walnut. Now I use safflower seed. They’re happy with that!