• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

amount of social time

birdhero6

Checking out the neighborhood
i have one linnie right now. im trying to get more asap but i dont know when. i spend as much time with her as possible but im worried it's not enough. i might be able to figure out for more time if its really not enough. shes always out when im home and i play music when im gone and she has lots of toys and stuff. whats the very least amount of time theyre probably okay with me hanging out? ill keep trying to do more and as much as possible but i still wanna know the minimum thats okay. as a general guess because i know all birds are different. thank you

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to say mine doesn't appear to be the most social of birds - not compared to other birds I've had. He'd probably be quite happy with only 3-4 hours or even less of social time (and very little direct interaction), in particular he prefers to be left alone for his nap time midday (they tend to be more active in the morning and evening). He's flighted and has run of the house with people home nearly all day, so he is free to choose as much or as little attention as he wants. In the morning he comes out to the living room for breakfast - he eats slowly and can take an hour or two to stuff himself. Then he sometimes may fly over and sit on my shoulder for a bit, or visit with my GCC before flying back to the bird room for naptime alone. In the evening, he flies out for dinnertime, then if I'm sitting quietly at the computer or watching TV, he may fly over and want to sit on my shoulder for a bit. He talks a little bit and seems to like it if I acknowledge him and talk to him a little when he lands on my shoulder, but at the same time, he doesn't like too much attention and definitely doesn't like to be petted or cuddled at all (though he will tolerate it - he won't bite or struggle but will look very unhappy). I've had him for years and that's his routine. He's offered as much attention as he would like and this is simply what he seems to prefer.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have two senegals, and while i believe they should get as much time as possible, two hours should be the absolute minimum, provided you have more then one! But it also depends on the bird itself! Like above, my male bird prefers to be acknowledged, but not so much cudled, while my young lady couldnt get enough if a day had 36 hours of interaction :)

birdhero6

Checking out the neighborhood
she really likes to sit with me and sometimes cuddle or usualy be with me running around and playing with things. if i am in the room she will not even stay on the other side she always needs to be near me! on one day of the week i have less time for her but that is three or four hours. most days i have five or six or more i was just worried its not nearly enough but it sounds like it maybe is. she acts okay she doesnt pick feathers or anything she is super excited to see me always. but not acting more excited than she always is even when i am here all day and leave for five minutes. more answers is still always good and thank you so far

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You will quickly notice if the bird is bored, she will scream and bite and do anything to get attention, because even bad attention is attention to the bird's eye :)

That said, with enough toys 4 or 5 hours would be enough! But if you can, place her somewhere happening, close to the windows maybe so she can look outside and "see" things :)

Personally, i believe animals (and especially intelligent creatures like parrots) should always be 2, but some birds might not like to share a cage or a house for that matter :)

jbarkan

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jill Barkan
I have a similiar question-- my bird refuses to ever go in the cage and wants to be with me on the couch all evening. How can I keep the bird entertained? She is afraid of most toys, so I hate to buy anything new.... she usually loves borrowing under her baby blanket all night with me!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have 2 Linnies so they are glued together most of the day. My male Linnie is however very social and loves it when visitors are here. I suggest you not worry and just spend time with her as much as you can. Do you have other family members or friends that will do the same? There is a bird store that is advertising Linnies now if you live near Md.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
When I dont have school like this week I have a whole week off I am with Mango about 10-15 hours a day and I give the Cockatiels the same amount of attention if they are in my room or I bring them up.When I am in school they are with me for the rest of the day when I come home so thats 7 hours before bedtime.