• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon recovering from losing toe HELP please!

wordy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lori
My yellow naped amazon Wordy got her toe stuck in her cage severing it off completely today. I was able to take her into the emergency vet and they stitched it up, put a ball bandage on it, and fitted her with an e collar to be worn for the next ten days. They sent me home with some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory pain medication. Now, I have her at home in a large clear plastic container. Does anyone have any tips for helping her adjust to the bandage and the collar? She is very frustrated and just wants to bite and chew everything in her reach including the collar itself. Also, she hasn't been wanting to eat or drink in the few hours since we got home from the vet, how do I encourage her to eat while she is so distressed? I just don't know how she is going to make it through this recovery, anyone with experience please help my poor little girl!
-Lori

bellas momma

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
Sorry to hear poor baby.. I'm no expert but,I to have one in a collar it took her a few days to adjust to it.. Try to get her to take some drops of water off you fingertip hopefully someone will be along soon with more experience..

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd handfeed her for a day or two as the worst of it wears off.

I was in a simular situation with Opa 2.5 years ago. I also kept him in a small 24" square cage with one perch.

Some birds feel the need to still perch. Being on the ground flat footed can be uncomfortable if they're used to perching when roosting.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd also recommend talking to your vet to make sure he is on the right meds.

He may need stronger pain meds.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you try her in her cage to see how she does? My GCC lost a toe and I kept him in a 10 gallon aquarium and he did well, but a larger bird like a YNA would probably feel more comfortable in their cage. Maybe move everything low to the bottom of the cage if she is not managing well. She will most likely eat and drink when she is ready. Birds can sense our stress levels so try to stay calm for her sake. :hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor baby. I'm so sorry for both of you. Hugs instead of info. Sorry. :hug8::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would definitely recommend handfeeding...she may find it comforting as well..poor baby :hug8:

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
poor lil one! what kind of e-collar is it? a ball collar? a foam one? soft one? my cockatoo had a foam collar.. it was literally duct taped! :hehe: and i believe it was pressing on his crop a bit, i think they cut it just a hair too long. he wouldnt eat unless i was holding him and helping him support his neck.

if you lil one still wont eat or drink much, try some fruit juice in a spoon. i have yet to see anybirdy here pass up fruit juice. :rolleyes:

good luck with you lil one. time will pass, and in a month this will all be in the past. once everything heals i'm sure the lil one will get used to his new footing and be all over the cage again like before! :hug8: