• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon problem.

Mini-amazon3

Meeting neighbors
So I realized my Amazon started trying harder to poop .so when I looked at her butt I saw that poop formed a ball on her butt so.cleaned it with my brother,and she started screaming and everything.
i never want to do that again,and she even bit my brother.
So I got rid the lump and her butt was totally bald so I didn't want to fully clean it and damage the skin around there. since I thought I might have saw just a little bit of blood but like almost nothing, but it could've been of my brother so I'm not fully sure. so I stopped cleaning.
I think she can poop now since there's no more poop,just some dirtiness.shes just sitting outside the cage now sitting outside cleaning herself and almost sleeping sometimes.
I think I will go to the vet with her tommorow to fully clean it at the vet if she lets me grab her again.
I had the same problem with my rabbit
So I'm not sure how bad It is with parrots. but I usually just cleaned it and maybe even trim some of the hair and it would be Good.and I know it's usually diet related but it's harder to solve because she almost only eats seeds because that's how they raised her.besides seeds she only eats Appel and grapes but only a little.

So what advice would you guys give me?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I would call the vet for an appointment ASAP, when you call ask if there is anything you could do until the appointment. You'll definitely have to work on his diet.

I only have seen one bird that didn't poop well, it was a budgie by boyfriends son had. He didn't make it long after the problem was noticed. :scared6:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely get her to the vet. She should not be screaming when you clean her up. She might bite, but not scream. I think she's in pain. Get in to see that when as soon as you can. You do need to work on transitioning her to better food. Too much seed is too fatty for any companion bird and can lead to a world of problems.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Scary, I hope she is Ok. Please check with a vet & check back to let us know.

:sadhug2:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I hope the vet appointment goes well. I also agree that she shouldn't be screaming. She must be in pain. Her diet also needs quite a bit of work, even if transitioning takes a long time it must happen. Seed only diets bring lots of problems, especially since 'zons have a tendency to get overweight easily. IMO, start reducing her seed, and offer a few different brands of pellets to see which she likes.(Harrisons, Zupreem naturals, Roudybush etc. are good brands)
Fresh food is best in addition to pellets, but can be harder to convert to. My opinion would be to get her on pellets as soon as possible, with seed as a occasional treat, to start with before starting to convert to fresh food.
I hope all is well with her :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Avian Vet as soon as possible in my humble opinion.

I've never seen an Amazon strain to use the bathroom but I would imagine that leads to a ton of problems, all not good. Easier on the bird (and your pocketbook) to fix it as soon as possible.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also say get her to the vet tomorrow. Its not normal for parrots to have a problem like that and it usually means there is a larger problem causing it. Once you have been to the vet, we can talk about diet changes. The diet probably is not causing this. My guess is there is a bigger problem going on in her that needs medical care.

Mini-amazon3

Meeting neighbors
I'm gonna take her to the vet today.
I also forgot to say that she was trying to clean it herself and like scratch her butt with her feet she's still doing it I think to clean herself.
She looks normally and I gave her Apple
Which she ate a little from.
But it looks like she hasn't poop yet or not like normal poop kinda like watery I think.
She's still active and plays with her toys so I hope it's nothing major.
I doubt that will eat pellets but I will try it.
But where I live there aren't a lot of good pellet brands so I might have to check online if I could find good ones.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would encourage you not to force any major changes in diet until you get her health issues taken care of. You can always offer pellets, but make sure she has access to seed all the time too. At least until you get a diagnosis and have seen the vet.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Where are you located? States?

Keep us informed about what the avian vet says. It's always tremendously helpful to others that own birds....

I love amazons and hope it's something they can help her with quickly.

Mini-amazon3

Meeting neighbors
She already pooped a few hours before we went to the vet.
They adviced me to switch to pellets.
They didn't have any I storage so I'm gonna pick up a bag in two days.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Did the vet say why scratching there? That is not normal.

Mini-amazon3

Meeting neighbors
I'm located in the Netherlands but luckily they have Harrison's pellets because I couldn't find them at pet stores nearby.
She said that it will probably itch because the feathers start growing back.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Odd.

I've never seen my amazons itch near their vent and I've had them several years.

PamelaBurt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pamela Burt
My Orange Wing Amazon, Peeper, is 35 years old or so. I've had him since 1986. Every once in a while there is a build up of poop on his butt. Dried poop that was about half the size of a golf ball. He has a very good diet, mixed seeds, mostly safflower, fruit (oranges, apples, grapes, cantaloupe, melon and others) everyday, and fresh vegetables, some pasta, crusts.... This has happened probably 6 times in the past 10 to 15 years or so.

I take his big cage out doors, fill my spray bottle with tepid water and spray him good, I soak him. I aim at the poop ball, but have found that wetting him down the back works best because the water rolls down to the clump. The poop is hard and dried to his feathers. You have to wet the ball and let the water soak in or when you clean the poop off you will pull out feathers and yes he will scream.

I use a soft towel and hold him on his back and remove the poop ball as gently as I can. I also clipped his nails which he absolutely hates.

After all these years, I've figured my problem out. He has a feather that grows weird and the poop clings to it. Then the poop builds up. It is not a downy feather but one of the more sturdy ones. Why it grows on his butt I don't know.

Peeper is a healthy old bird... He's not the tamest bird I have ever had, but is active and talks a lot... He's a bit mad at me right now...

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
understandable.....