• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon parrot attacking itself!!

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
My amazon will bite his leg (not the foot, the leg) when he is stressed out. His leg is always protected by his feathers, though, so no harm comes from the biting. I have seen an African grey do that as well. Some of the birds at a rescue I support also do that (the leg biting).

As suggested above, a vet visit will only give you peace of mind, just to be safe.

Michelle Vrbka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Dan1227,

We have three large birds in our home, one is a Double Yellow Head Amazon. At your age I commend you for being so involved with your birds behavior and paying attention! Cudos! Avian Vet. is your best bet for a healthy parrot and always a good idea when a new Flock member arrives in your home. I am understanding this is your first med-Large Parrot? While you are at your appointment bring a prepared list of Q & A with you, ask about a balanced diet to gain a better understanding of your birds nutritional needs. Also talk to them about required sleep routines, bathing, toys, and social interaction. Avian Vets are especially helpful and great resources to gain knowledge on your birds care. They will also be your best resource for your feather attention concern, hands on- is the best!
My Favorite all around parrot food book is written by: Robin Deutsch, The Healthy Bird Cookbook: A Lifesaving Nutritional Guide and Recipe Collection- It is more than a cookbook, It offers a breakdown about certain foods and poisons to avoid. Your Amazon will be with you your entire life, our Amazon Fido, owns our Daughter- they are the same age and have at least another 40 years to go or more.

I'm sure I got carried away with info. Would love to hear how your apt. goes.
Cheers

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My Sam has a spot on his left upper wing like that. I think that something there must have irritated him as some point, so he started chewing it. Now, it seems to be kind of a habit. Once in a while, he will chew it a little. He has some broken feathers there, and a slight ruffled look. The vet has looked at it many times, and no real damage has been done. He feels that it is indeed a habit, but one that doesn't cause any real damage. It looks almost like the spot on your bird.

Michelle Vrbka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Great to hear all is well! :yah:

Just another lesson learned in the great continued exploration of understanding, of these wonderful fascinating creatures called birds!

Merry Christmas to all!

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
You know, those baths really work. Sam had some feathers that I thought were coming in deformed. They just looked funny. When I gave him a bath, low and behold normal feathers! Glad it helped your little guy.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful bird! What a gorgeous face. Glad to hear he stopped the biting. His feathers are in wonderful condition.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Its wonderful that he has stopped. I do agree with Michelle though, even if he has stopped. Its best to get on top of something before the issue arises. He is such a beauty! Others may want to correct me (please do if I am wrong) but 80% processed food seems more than a little high to me.