• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Amarillo is finally home!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Amarillo got to come home Monday night and is doing very well. We had to put her in an e-collar because she wouldn't leave her stitches alone and she initially hated that but has gotten used to it. Iris was so happy to see her but isn't happy that we're caging her but we need to monitor her pooping and eating. She goes back in on tomorrow for a quick wound check and then we wait for her to heal for two to three weeks before they try to go back in for the egg. I found her munching away on the bark of a new basswood platform perch I put in her cage to make it easier for her to get from one side of the cage to the other. I think she's doing pretty well if I do say so myself!

IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

Last edited:

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks really good. I expected to see missing feathers from her op but she looks great and happy to be home.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She looks really good. I expected to see missing feathers from her op but she looks great and happy to be home.
Yep, you wouldn't know she's had anything done to her or that she's carrying around the mega mystery egg. She seems to be acting like her happy little self too. I'm quite certain that this is my golden child! Jon wants to trade her in for some gold. We still don't even know what the bill is! Maybe they won't charge us! LOL!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Great to see her looking so perky!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's such a pretty girl. She looks like she's feeling better. Wishing her all the best! Hang in there Mom, I know how hard this is.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
.Ami you are looking great. Don't give mom too hard of a time

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you got her back home. That must have been nerve wracking. I've had lots of birds lay eggs and nobody ever had that kind of problem. All those adhesions certainly make you wonder what her past life was like.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
So glad she is doing well
:hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is just gorgeous. I love her eyes. So glad she's home. :heart:

Is that a sandy perch she's on? How does she like it?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice to see her home. It must help lower stress for everyone. Hope the doc says "no charge"

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Really great news!

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
She is such a beauty! Glad she is doing better. :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's wonderful she's home and doing so well!:starshower1:She really looks fantastic and healthy, not to mention adorable!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm glad you got her back home. That must have been nerve wracking. I've had lots of birds lay eggs and nobody ever had that kind of problem. All those adhesions certainly make you wonder what her past life was like.
Yes, I really do wonder what the first 11 years were like for her. I wonder if she's always had an egg problem and maybe they've had to remove them in the past. I guess I'll never really know. We had her previous owner's vet name but I don't remember it. I could go back and ask Tanya or Theresa again and see if they can remember. It might be worth a shot but at this point I don't know if it matters. I can't imagine that she was poorly treated as her disposition is just so unbelievably sweet. I'm just glad that she's doing so well. I'm terrified to have to go through another surgery but the egg has to come out. I'm hoping that, now that we know what we are dealing with, that it might be a little easier to target the egg and go in and get out but I know it's still a very risky surgery. They will be giving her an implant and hopefully we will never see another egg in her and she will live a long and healthy life. She is definitely my golden birdie child!:heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She is just gorgeous. I love her eyes. So glad she's home. :heart:

Is that a sandy perch she's on? How does she like it?
It's the sand walk sandy perches, the really light ones with the plastic cage attachments. I find those to be the most effective for nail trimming although some of my birds will just chew them apart!:) She doesn't seem to mind it although, with the cone of shame she's wearing, she doesn't have much of a choice on where she stands! LOL! She has that perch and then a platform perch that's attached to the door and then another wooden perch on the other side. I have one of those sandy perches for just about every cage I have...some of them I have to do more of a heavy duty sandy perch as the birds will just demolish it...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Nice to see her home. It must help lower stress for everyone. Hope the doc says "no charge"
Wouldn't that be amazing but I have a feeling there will be a hefty fee...one of which I'm more than happy to make Jon pay for!;)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she's doing so well and is her happy self :)