• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amarillo decisions

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It might be more of less the same procedure of crushing the egg inside of her.

That can cause infections and issues too.

Something to consider and talk with your vet over which is more risky.

My only concern was the risk of infection if the egg adhered to the oviduct.
I did ask Dr. Parkinson about spaying and she said most vets don't even do it anymore. She said it would basically be like causing an ectopic "pregnancy" if she ever laid another egg and in Amarillo's case, that would be almost deadly because they would have to remove it surgically. Now that they understand more, they have other ways to control the hormones and can just stop egg laying all together with Lupron shots or implants and she feels that's the much better route to go in any bird.

As for Miss Amarillo, she is doing better and they think she might be able to come home today. She got to see Iris, or maybe Iris got to see her. Iris was really, really happy...Amarillo was grouchy!:) I'm a little scared to bring her home. She will need nebulizing meds and I'm worried that she might need O2 at some point. I know you can easily make a box for them but I think I'd almost like to buy a nice set up...I'm trying to locate that one thread where Danita was asking about them...sigh...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep, I agree with @Macawnutz. I have a setup just like Sarah's and it has worked for about 10 years now.

I agree that someone with as many birds as you have should have oxygen available - it can be a lifesaver in an emergency.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, I will be getting the supplies so that I can run O2 if I need it. The thing Dr. Parkinson is worried about is actually getting a hold of the O2 itself. Sarah, have you ever gotten O2 in Wisconsin before or do you get it in IL?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You don't need a prescription for a concentrator! Buy from that link above and you will be fine. :D You also don't have to have signage on your house saying Explosive. :hilarious:

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Our poor Jen....you are such a good "mommy." Hang in there sweet girl, we are all with you. Glad to hear Ami will be coming home soon. It's good to hear so many knowledgeable friends giving such good advise. Aren't we fortunate! Love you guys!! "God bless you Jen" :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know if I didn't understand what you asked about the O2 @jmfleish, but the O2 comes from the Oxygen concentrator and is a continous supply of O2. I think that the difference in the nebulizers between what Danita has and the one Sarah and I have is different countries - Devilbuss is an American company and the one Danita has is a British company. My vet insisted that I get a Devilbuss (the same as the PulmoAide) because it make the fluid (with medication) into smaller particles and therefore penetrates deeper into the lungs and airsacs.

Oxygen_04.JPG

This is set up in my RV. I put a heat pad under it because the O2 comes out fairly cool. For the nebulizer you just punch another hole in the box and put the cup for the nebulizer in that hole and run the O2 and nebulizer at the same time or individually.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks guys! I've done the nebulizer before I just don't have any experience with O2! I'm getting lessons here though! LOL!:smuggrin:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You don't need a prescription for a concentrator! Buy from that link above and you will be fine. :D You also don't have to have signage on your house saying Explosive. :hilarious:
But you got rid of Vaseline products, right?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW..read the whole thread ..so happy she seems to be doing better and can come home best of luck to you both and sending healing thoughts and hugs :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How is Miss Ams feeling now? Has she been able to come home yet!

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She gets to come home today!:). She's doing really well! We're going to La Crosse for Father's Day and will pick her up when we get back. I'm still a little a little nervous but she will have been out of oxygen for more than two days.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We decided to leave her at UW one more day because they had stopped the injectable meds on Saturday and I wanted to give her one more day but she was doing really well on Sunday, singing and chatting up a storm. I will pick her up after work today for sure.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ugh! I'm such a chicken! When Dr. Parkinson called this morning she was telling me how great Ams was doing when Ams started doing a bit of regurgitating and that freaked me and Dr. P out and I was going to leave Ami there again tonight and just visit her after work but while I was there visiting, Dr. Mans suggested that I just take her home for the night and see how she does and I could take her back in the morning for the day and they would medicate her again and watch her for the day. We have a vet appointment for Cisco BFA at 3:00, so will probably just take her and Cisco home after the appointment. Dr. Mans said he thought she was depressed and would do better at home. I think he just wanted me to realize that I could indeed take her home and she would be ok! I think she is happy to be home and I'm definitely happy to have her home! I cannot believe how much I love this little miracle bird. She was sitting on my back earlier grooming my hair. Iris was happy to see her and then mad when I brought her upstairs but life goes on...

A picture from this evening:

IMG_0684.JPG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's been the longest 10 days ever. Learned a lot. :hug8:

She needed to be home. Time to feed the spirit.