• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amarillo decisions

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:yah:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We had a temporary setback yesterday afternoon. Around 4ish, Amarillo started acting weird and couldn't perch and then wouldn't stand. They had given her a low dose of pain medication. They were really worried but she did start to recover and was doing better when they called me to let me know what had happened and then called an hour later to let me know that she was still doing a bit better but they were guarded. They said if they didn't call the rest of the evening that it would be good news and they didn't. They should call this morning to give me an update. They aren't sure what went wrong and said it could be sepsis or a reaction to the meds or too much blood loss but are very glad that she seems to be doing better. I'm anxiously awaiting my morning call. They said that there was a very short time on Tuesday where she was having a breathing issue but they didn't worry because it didn't last long but it happened again last night for a very brief amount of time and they would like to do another CT scan just to absolutely rule out asper. At this point, I'm fine with anything they feel they want to check for just to be on the safe side. It sounds like they just want to be absolutely safe. They are going to do the film without anesthesia and just have her perch on a stand at this point because they don't want to do anything that's going to affect her recovery. Hopefully I'll be able to stop by today and see her but it doesn't sound like they're going to send her home today.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I swear having birds is as bad as having kids for what they put us through! At least there was no more bad news last night and here's hoping for some good news this morning. :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, Ams seems to be doing well as long as they keep her in an oxygen rich environment. They have her in an oxygen cage and around 9 last night, she was looking for some attention so they opened the door to give her some scritches and after having the door open for too long, she started to get woozy. So, they closed the door and she was fine again. Also, both of her feet are bluish-purple. She's stable this morning but they are worried about it possibly being pneumonia or a clotting issue. My thought is a clotting issue due to the bluish-purple feet. The last time I had her in, we noticed that one of her feet was mostly bruised and didn't know why. When I dropped her off on Monday, Dr. Parkinson noticed that it had cleared up completely...so there's something weird with that going on. They are going to go ahead and do a CT scan later this morning in an O2 box to see if they can find anything that will help them diagnose her more and treat her better. I'll also probably be able to go and visit with her at some point today.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the update. I hope they get to the bottom of the new issue soon.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you take her buddy with you when you visit?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Prayers for Ami coming your way and also a big hug for you.
We are all thinking about her for a full recovery.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Can you take her buddy with you when you visit?
We have another lab tomorrow that Iris will be attending so maybe Iris will be able to see Ams a little bit depending on how Ami is doing. Right now, I think they want to just be really careful with her. I think Iris is more worried about Ami than Ami is worried about Iris!:) If it was Iris going through this, I would definitely want her to be able to see Ams. Iris is much more bonded to Ami than Ami is to Iris.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Prayers for Ami coming your way and also a big hug for you.
We are all thinking about her for a full recovery.
Thanks so much Wendy! It means everything to me!

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Re: the purplish feet. Tiki gets that after being towelled at the vet and having her toenails done. Not sure if it's from being overheated (she comes out panting and hot) or if it's from the heat of the Dremel. Either way, I think it is heat related with Tiki.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Re: the purplish feet. Tiki gets that after being towelled at the vet and having her toenails done. Not sure if it's from being overheated (she comes out panting and hot) or if it's from the heat of the Dremel. Either way, I think it is heat related with Tiki.
Could it be stress related? Secret did the panting on the first visit to the vet and I read somewhere that wasn't a good thing....

In any event, if Ami had the blue feet before and they went away, hopefully it will clear up again.

Prayers up for the Amazon that she'll continue to improve.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Could it be stress related? Secret did the panting on the first visit to the vet and I read somewhere that wasn't a good thing....

In any event, if Ami had the blue feet before and they went away, hopefully it will clear up again.

Prayers up for the Amazon that she'll continue to improve.

Well I think the stress contributes to her getting overheated.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope everything will be OK.