• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Alternative Pain reliever until I can see vet tomorrow?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hello

My parrot injured his leg and foot in the middle of the night. I believe he will be ok (able to stand, no bleeding) but he is limping and in obvious pain. I can't locate an emergency avian vet to get some meloxicam so I have to wait until the morning to hopefully see my avian vet.

I have old meloxicam in the frig but I know it is no longer effective. Does anyone know of an alternative home remedy for pain for parrots until I see the avian vet? I look forward to getting him avIan assistance with a full exam.

I am hand feeding him an omlette and veggies and holding his water bowl so he can eat and drink without using his feet. He is very appreciative and saying "I love you, Mommy loves you" as a thank you for helping him. He is alert but in pain. I am hoping there is some type of over the counter help I can give him today to relieve the pain.

Thanks in advance for guidance and lack of judgment. He fell somehow and got entangled. I do everything I can to ensure a safe environment, good nutrition and goof vet care.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh, so sorry to hear that. Some experts should be along soon. I keep metacam, baytril, vit K, oxygen and Avitech formulas handy but that that doesn’t help you.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I might be wrong but I seem to recall that peppers can help with pain management? So maybe a bit of pepper, if he'll eat it?

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks. I am not on Facebook.

He is getting more active and hopefully will withstand discomfort until I get him to the vet tomorrow

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I might be wrong but I seem to recall that peppers can help with pain management? So maybe a bit of pepper, if he'll eat it?
What type of pepper? He ate some red bell pepper this morning! Thanks!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Oh, so sorry to hear that. Some experts should be along soon. I keep metacam, baytril, vit K, oxygen and Avitech formulas handy but that that doesn’t help you.
Thanks and I hope you are well. I may have some avicalm that I never used. Good idea.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Cayenne powdered mixed with warm water in paste form will help with pain. But be careful if it gets in the eyes it can cause burning and infection.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for tips. I found Relaxation and Calming formula Anti Stress herbal birds drops, avi calm, and herbal bird chamomile drops in house. All old as I bought them and never used them 5 years ago when I adopted Charlie. I put some calming anti stress drops in a blueberry and also a small piece of bird bread. Trying to convince Max to eat a little of it.

There is no open wound so I may try the cayenne pepper later today.

I really appreciate the ideas as does Max

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Max tasted a bit of bird bread and cocked his head with a strange look on his face as if to say....my bread tastes different...not sure if he will eat more of it. But will keep trying to make him comfy until we see the vet and get better care available

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Be careful use gloves to apply to Max . Getting that stuff on your face, hands under your nails is BAD NEWS! !!!!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Max, he’s such a sweetie. I hope he feels better soon!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I hope Max will be pain free VERY soon! Hoping nothing is broken or badly sprained. :toyou:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I hope Max will be pain free VERY soon! Hoping nothing is broken or badly sprained. :bighug:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sorry for the duplicate posts - I kept trying to post the reply, but it wasn't going through... Finally thought it might be the emoticon, so I changed it - then see multiples - ugh!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Get well soon max!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks and I hope you are well. I may have some avicalm that I never used. Good idea.
Thanks, my ribs are improving from the fall. Sending healing wishes for Max :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Max will be OK.