• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alright. I give up. No more chickens.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Y'all I cannot even begin to explain how pissed I am right now.

An hour ago, the chickens were fine - The one survivor from the last attacks, and four new ladies I brought home. ONE HOUR AGO.

Went to take my dogs out, and a husky mix had broken the fence. BROKEN THE FREAKING FENCE!! TORE IT OFF THE POSTS! TEN GOD BLESSED CHICKENS IN SIX MONTHS. He had to have been the one who got in the first time. The second time was a fox, we caught that on camera. I am so, so, so angry. He's someone's pet, he had a collar. I didn't catch him. I've called animal control and we're waiting for them to get here.

I just. I'm so angry. Angry, disgusted, disappointed. How can I ensure the owners are found and dealt with?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no that's so sad :( I'm sorry!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im so sorry you are dealing with this :sad8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so very sorry. I hope he's caught and can never do this again.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh no I am so sorry keep us updated big hugs I hope your ok can’t be a nice thing to find

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Well, I talked to animal control. Apparently there are no city ordinances regarding a dog killing livestock in my city. Basically I was told "it sucks to be you." But nicer, he was really pleasant about it, but there's literally no recourse unless we go to court, which we can't afford.

I'm so freaking mad.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about for property damage (the fencing)?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What about for property damage (the fencing)?
It'd have to go through small claims court, and looking it up, I'd need to have proof of how their dog got out, how he got onto my property, proof that the owners suck at being owners, etc. And a lawyer. Right now I don't even have the owners name and address - if I get it, I'll be going over there with proof of their dog doing it and requesting a check.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It'd have to go through small claims court, and looking it up, I'd need to have proof of how their dog got out, how he got onto my property, proof that the owners suck at being owners, etc. And a lawyer. Right now I don't even have the owners name and address - if I get it, I'll be going over there with proof of their dog doing it and requesting a check.
Do you have the dog on camera to prove it was theirs at least?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hopefully they are nice people if my dog did that I would for fence and (I know not replaceable) but get you some more chickens

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
That's heart breaking! :( I sorry you're having to deal with that :sadhug:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I am so so sorry, sending lots of love :sadhug2:

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
dude i am SO mad as well, psychically telling off whoever the owners are as we speak. :grouphug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As a rural kid ..... told often by their mom, once a dog does this, they continue.

About 40 years ago when I went to the farm, my lhasa apso (spelling?) went into the dog house where moms baby chickens were. I slid to my knees and grabbed him to pull him out and a baby chicken was in his mouth. I remember screaming at him as I pulled the chicken out of his mouth (chicken was fine, just scared). I was scared my mom was going to do him in. Luckily Alfie was scared by my screaming (never happened before) and learned to let the chickens alone.

So I wonder if the neighbors dog has done this before?

If you continue to try to raise chickens, get a strong panel pen (the kind used to house dogs) and put a fence over the top of it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry! That's horrible!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Do you have the dog on camera to prove it was theirs at least?
I've got video of the dog, but I haven't been able to get confirmation of the owners name and address.

I called AC back this morning and spoke with dispatch - I'm supposed to get a call from the responding officer today. Hopefully he found the owners and can get me in touch with them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I take it that there are no leash laws in your city. I'm so sorry for your loss of your chickens.
We have problems at the farm with stray dogs all the time. Alot of them are what we call 'ditch throws', you can't afford the dog or afford the vet bills or where you living you can't have a dog. So you drive out in the country side remove the dog's collar and leave in the ditch and drive away. There is a state park not far from the farm and people will lose their dogs intentionally in the park and not notify the state park employees.We have had everything from chihuahuas to Bull Mastiff in our yard. Little ones end up either at local shelter or Coyote food. The big ones become feral and a huge problem for our sheep farm.
We have our own policy for dealing with the ferals. We use scare, paintball and then call the sheriff's office. There is no animal control out in farm country. All of our neighbors know our rules and if your dog comes home with paintball splat on its side or rump. You better keep your pooch in your own yard cuz it strike three the next time it's in our yard. We have 4 livestock guardian dogs and they deal their own justice in their own way. And it isn't pretty.
I hope that you can get the help to at least have the dog's owner keep the dog in their yard. Huskies are well know to be wanders.