• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alone or in pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have mainly male cockatoos. Females make things difficult for my flock of males. As some of you may know, when you work with a rescue you learn that MALE umbrella cockatoos are the #1 big bird you will see. Well that's how I got my flock of boys. Out at my friends aviary, we have 20 something U2s. All but 4 are males. The females are placed in a small aviary off to themselves during the nicer months or the males go CRAZY. Typically theyd get along, minor squables. But with females present it makes things complicated.

I would and do plan on finding a flock of females one day for my males. But my companion boys, like Bokka and Opa, are GREAT together. True best buds for the most part.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good point, plus I think it's important to note that even older birds of the same species may have little interest in each other if they've spent their lives attached to people because they are not interested in birds at all and may even be frightened by other birds. I think that it might be possible for two older birds to become friends but the process could take years.

BTW, the youngsters do NOT need to be caged together to achieve a bond. You can let them develop their relationship gradually over time and let them decide if/when they are ready to share a cage.

Yes, I agree with both of your points.

Older birds are more set in their ways generally, and if they have a strong bond with their human, it can be hard for them to be flexible about sharing.

Even with the youngsters, you can't just dump them on each other. I've always used Barbara Heidenreich's "howdy" method with mine--putting them in cages where they can see each other but only gradually allowing contact.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My 2 Green Cheeks got along fine at first.. and then they suddenly turned on each other and now they can’t be anywhere near each other or else they will fight and draw blood. But then I have Cockatiels out in aviaries that get along really well, and Budgies in an aviary that get along so well together. Inside I have 2 Cockatiels and a Budgie living in one cage, and never have had any problems.. they preen each other and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.