• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Almonds

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So does your brother have avian/ hawkhead experience???

It does seem to be plausible

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I have no idea. I just assumed I'd caught him online. Who knows what is actually happening. My payment was sent and accepted. My receipt of payment says 1202 GST.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My brother based his information on what my deceased parents had given him. My father went to S.Am. annually and said HH were abundant there. My brother and I are on very limited terms and he currently lives in CO.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Due to his encouragement, I have basically useless bs degrees in AgBus and AnAnat with ms in Agri. He's 11 years my senior. I tend to trust his comments and texted him re my WCP. He recommended against her adoption, but I did anyway. Maybe that tells you more about our relationship.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My brother is a wiz at fixing things but he's different & I would not trust him to do anything financial with me. They have there faults & we don;t have to agree on everything but I guess in the end they are blood.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd adopt a pionous but not a sun or nanday or any bird that likes to hear there loudest voice for as much as they can. No macaw or amazon. No too for obvious reasons & they are dusty so dangerous to pionus.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yes, that's unfortunately true.
The man that owned the lodge my father frequented had a wild-caught HH and swore he wished he hadn't fallen into that trap. My father always had a strong interest in birds and parrots in our home. I grew up with a YNA and I remember tape marking the "no walk" zone. HAHA I later inherited her and most remember her laughing at me after biting me.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'd adopt a pionous but not a sun or nanday or any bird that likes to hear there loudest voice for as much as they can. No macaw or amazon. No too for obvious reasons & they are dusty so dangerous to pionus.
HAHA I sat in my AV's waiting room next to a conure giving me BIG TIME stink eye and screaming loudly. I swore never to have one of those Devil Birds. Now, I admit that my tendency is toward conures! HAHA

Like YNAs and most birds, it's all in how they are treated. Suns tend to scream and large birds tend to bite when they don't get their way and, to avoid the scream or bite, owners tend to give them what they want thus reinforcing the scream or bite. It's a vicious cycle. My trick... I make sure there are multiple conures.

That's why Sherman is such a mystery to me. I've never had such a quiet, introverted bird. I don't know what to do and worry that I'm doing the wrong thing! Her preference seems to just be left alone. :omg: What???? She's not screaming and biting me???? What am I doing wrong???? She can't just eat whatever she wants???? What should I do????

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats exactly why I am attracted to pionus. They are in general the quiet non demanding bird & of course there are always exceptions & every bird is different but in general...

WCP are said to be more active than the others & also the smallest. Still they are very pretty almost but not quite as pretty as the bronze wing

Penny seems to fit in here like a dream. She is not afraid of me but not all that affectionate either but its 6 weeks...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Couple of notes....

-microwave popcorn BAGS apparently have something toxic to parrots

-I have that book and will sell it if someone would like it.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
-microwave popcorn BAGS apparently have something toxic to parrots
I thought I'd heard that! That's why I'm growing my own.
Thats exactly why I am attracted to pionus.
How funny. What scares me most is what draws you.
WCP are said to be more active than the others & also the smallest. Still they are very pretty almost but not quite as pretty as the bronze win
I think Sherman is gorgeous and I can't imagine a bird more beautiful. Of course, I'm biased. :hehe:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, I airpop but was super concerned not to get one with any unsafe teflon or the like.
I guess the one I'm using is safe. I stopped pooping LOL corn for years for fear. They do heat high & if there was some teflon it would not be good.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Got an email from Russ...

The book will ship tomorrow. I'll send the tracking number then.
Thanks for the order,
Russ

:fairy2:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yea! I just wonder if they'll actually ship our books tomorrow. That's the skeptic in me. It helps cut down on disappointment. :glowlol:
We don't have UPS here. We do have USPS though. Tell me which yours is.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I wrote I prefer usps but its media snail mail so I did add unless its not much longer than UPS.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
HAHA We don't really have a choice here. HAHA When I choose UPS, it takes so Look much longer. I've wondered what would happen if I chose next day UPS, but it's not worth the added expense to find out. The only time I chose it, the cost was outrageous! I could've picked it up for less. (Did I mention this is a small township? HAHA About a million times!)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I prefer USPS but media mail is SLOW

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I don't have much choice. It's snail mail, pay outrageous shipping or wait until UPS gathers enough shipments to make it worth their time.
A USPS box was sent to me and neighbors called to tell me it was before it arrived and wanted to know what I'd ordered. HAHA

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Some people insist that the bird not have the wings clipped and be allowed to fly. The breeder had clipped her wings and after a time when I saw the posts about not clipping, I decided to allow her wings to grow long. As soon as she was able to fly, she did a header into the sliding glass door window and darn near broke her neck. She had a concussion, but at least did not break her neck. Soon after, I took her down and got a wing trim. She is able to coast to the floor and run around, but cannot get loft.

So I think it is a matter of personal preference. I prefer to have her alive even if she does not get the flying exercise.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My book is out for delivery today usps.