• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Almonds

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
You can get the book from this site: The Practical Pionus I sent a request, got a quote for shipping, confirmed it and then sent the money via PayPal.
I just emailed my shipping address to Mr. Shade and made my payment via PayPal
I can hardly wait!
When I saw this before, I just figured it was "book cover hype," went to the county library (which only had outdated books about parrots) and followed somebody I knew.
I couldn't find the much-needed specifics on the internet. (Probably my lack of tech savvy.) Then it happened so fast! I went from knowing nothing about WCP's to adopting one in less than a week.
Actually, y'all have taught me things I had no ideas about! WCPs are so different from any bird I've ever had or currently have. I figured Sherman was just another parrot. If it weren't for y'all, my AV and my breeder, we'd probably both be dead by now! HAHA

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How did you pay by pay[pal? Did he email a invoice or did you send $ to his email by paypal?

Its 29.95 plus $6.95 US shipping?

I am emailing to the addy on the bottom of his page.

I almost bought the book a year or so ago & even if I don't have a Pi I'm sure some of the info is applicable to other S. American parrots.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I emailed my info, sent PayPal via email address and was sent a receipt that it had been received and accepted.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
the fusemail.com???

I sent an email to get an invoice...wonder how long that would take?

Since you got a receipt & it paypal its probably safe

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Most but not all the info is applicable to African Greys and amazons. I don't know about anything else.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not any books on hawkheads but I've heard diet is similar to African greys.
Good reference in case a pi falls from the sky...LOL

Sent $ by payapl!

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
If there is any problem, there is recourse. The fact that I was sent a receipt within minutes and have both his and the publisher's info plus made the payment via PayPal makes denial difficult. The only questions are when the actual shipment occurs and the tracking number. Companies promise the world!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just hoping they still have stock & website is up to date as the last someone ordered & verfied receipt on AA was over a year ago...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks...been there a few times. Lots of conflicting info on the various sites...

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Well, as I said, I don't trust shipping dates. The payment was sent via HIS email and accepted plus a receipt was sent to me from his address. For all I know, it's automated. It didn't have the "do not reply to this message" as expected though.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'm sure! As previously mentioned, what is and isn't hype? I always try to adhere to the following:
1. What would Grandma say;
2. Don't believe what's on the internet until 3 DIFFERENT people say the same.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: I just put a new branch NEAR her cage... outside of it... and Sherman freaked!
Move the branch further away if it's worrying her. You can try handling it yourself when she can watch you - touch it, shake it gently, laugh and make it very clear that you're having an awesome time. It can reassure them that the branch/toy isn't going to eat them. After all, you're having a great time so there's nothing to be scared of.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for car sickness, but it might be worth desensitising her to going in the car? Pop her in the carrier and take her into the car, then build this up to short trips and then longer trips.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I did not get any confirm of receipt yet but its Sunday.
When did you pay?
I have my paypal receipt so if you don't get it you can file a paypal claim.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
***Please note this is second hand information from a sibling that is subject to interpretation.***
The dietary needs of a HH are basically similar to most Pionus including the need for added vitamins A and D. Most pellet formulas don't have enough vitA and require "orange" foods added to their diets and daily access to either sunlight or a full UV spectrum lamp and weekly access to yogurt.
HH tend to be more active, so less susceptible to fatty tumors and should have regular access to seeds.
Like Pionus parrots, males can be quite territorial and demanding of their mates. Hormonal behavior can heighten this behavior.
Captive lifespans can be up to 40 years.
Chicks generally take longer to both wean and fledge and are thus susceptible to male territorial behavior.
***Please note this is second hand information from a sibling that is subject to interpretation.***

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Interesting but who is the source??? A sibling?

I did read they need more fat like macaws & calcium like grays.
She has been said to eat some yogurt.

She likes a bit of cheese & meat/chicken/fish too!

Had some omelet for breakfast & eats carrots like they are candy!

Her bloodwork says her cholesterol is below avg & bile acids too!!!

So guess she has had a good diet & she was free flighted for 18 years.

Her owner of 18 years gave her a few almonds per day too...calcium & other goodies

She was on Leaches best parrot diet & thats seed. Don;t think she has ever been too fond or had alot of pellet. I am trying to introduce it to suppliment & moisten it with tart cerry juice & her orange with some bits of apple & carrot. Have given her a vitamin supp/probiotic this past week from Hagen.

Been told they can live more like 50 years with good diet & luck!

:fairy2:

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I did not get any confirm of receipt yet but its Sunday.
When did you pay?
I have my paypal receipt so if you don't get it you can file a paypal claim.
At 3:02PM/CT
A PayPal receipt and account record will allow you to file a PayPal report of misconduct. I don't know the conditions for return of funds. (My ignorance) I have only used PayPal where I have direct access to the recipient. I assumed that this was the case and I had caught him online. Now you have me concerned that this was an automated reply. Have I been duped?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So far seems the books have gone out just not sure of recent & how many in stock/printed.

I paid 2:30 is pst so thats after 5pm on the east coast & he is in PA I guess as he charges tax there. I just w0nder why I didnt get the automated one yet but its only less than 2 hrs since I paid