• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All my Rehomes & Their stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherina

Hit the Road
I have 3 rehomed birds that i took in. My Oscar the Amazon is AMAZING to say the least. He came from a home where he had one perch, seeds to eat and a little girl who sat by his cage and would talk to him for hours. When i got him his nails were so long they curled all the way around and he couldn't walk and his perch had to be very large just so he could perch. I have been taking him monthly to get his nails cut over a 6 month period because the quick is to long and they can only take off a tiny bit at a time. I had never seen his legs and believed he was just a very short and squatty Amazon until the third month of taking him to the vet, we got done and i put him on my shoulder to come home and he was all squatted down like normal and he is in love with my 5 year old twin daughter and she said "Oscar did you get your nails done?" and he turned around on my shoulder, stepped off onto the headrest of my car and stood up and low and behold he had legs under that chubby body. Ever since that day Oscar has came out of his shell a lot more. He walks around on the floor and his cage and any where he can get. His beak was also overgrown so they drilled that down so he could eat and they have been doing that little by little so he can continue to eat bigger seeds and such and now he is just a happy little bird with new legs, nice toenails and a happy little song.

Patty is a rehome conure, when he was a baby his mommy was a little impatient and a little rough, she didnt know how to handfeed and deformed his little beak in the process. His beak is broken at the bottom and his top is crossed over that. Which makes for a mean bite. I was told that he wasn't a nice bird and that he couldn't be handled. I got him home in his little tiny cage and i'm talking a size big enough for one finch there were two conures in this cage. He refused to come out so i didnt wanna rush him so i just took the cage apart and left the bottom and the sides so he could sit on his one little perch, no toys in the entire cage. I just sat him on the kitchen table and went and sat in a chair. About 30 mins later he decided to fly onto the table in front of me and shared a sandwich with me. I put my hand out and he climbed onto it and i just sat there talking to him. He has been my best friend ever since. He has only bitten me once and that was just the other day. He doesn't talk but whistles the words (to confusing to explain) he says MAMA, thank you and takes a bow, hangs upside down on my finger. He is just a joy to be around.

The other birdie i was talking about above is my Pippen, Jenday conure. Now pippy doesn't have any handicaps but he is still a wonderful bird.

My Peaches is a rehome she is a Moluccan Cockatoo and she was a black bald baby when i got her. She lived in a castle (no crap she did) her mommy was a Domanitrex (spelled wrong im sure) and she owned 15 men as slaves (so weird i know) anyways Peaches lived in the dungen which was in the basement where her owner played real life harry potter games LOL (i feel so weird telling this story) She was left in a tiny cage for 15 years with the same owner, no toys, was fed seeds and when the owner finally got tired of hearing her scream from boredom she called and said she could no longer take care of this bird. Ok this part is really sad. When the lady brought Peaches she was in a dog carrierm her cage in tow, she walked over sat her down and said Bye Peaches very coldly and walked to her car to get her cage, here peaches was inside this car carrier crying as loud as i have ever heard MAMA MAMA Don't go MAMA Dont Go. The lady walked over, put down the cage and said See ya Peaches and got in her car and left. That was it. I stood there in shock. Here i was crying my eyes out and this lady just left this crying cockatoo. I get her home and she is still crying i let her out and she walks over to me and buries her face in my shirt and cries MAMA MAMA. Now my fiance and i think Peaches learned this behavior from her little slave boys she kept at her castle but who knows either way it broke my heart. Peaches was just a temp rehome with us....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what heartwarming stories.....I teared up

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow! Thank you for giving them a better chance at a happy life. :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Such inspiring stories :hug8::heart:

Heatherina

Hit the Road
You know i learned so much from my rehomes. Life isn't over for them and the road doesn't end but begins in my home. I watched a chubby Amazon who did nothing but sit on his perch in his boring cage, boring because he is scared of toys bad, and he would never move off that perch the entire day unless i pick him up do something for the first time today. He played with the toys on top of his cage. I cried like the big sap i am. He is a new boy with a new life. He is a hormonal boy right now but he is happy for once and i can see it in the way he stands up on his legs, how he is finally playing with his toys, and listeing to all the new words i taught him how to say, the most important thing he has ever said to me is "come here" That proves so much in those two little words. Rehomes are the BEST
Thank you all for reading my story

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm crying and laughing with joy at the same time. Thank you.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bless you for taking in those birds. :hug8:
I would not trade my adopted guys for anything, even though my zon is a pill regardless of hormones. I just love zons. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.