• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All but 4 of her tail feathers have fallen out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christys1433

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christy
Hey folks.. I'm new to the site and i'm looking forward to swapping some stories with ya. I have an orange winged amazon and she is 8 months old. Awa is AMAZING!! Hands down the friendliest bird i've ever been around. I worried about her though. About a month ago, all of her tail feathers (except the first four on the right) have fallen out and it doesn't look like any new ones are coming in. :omg: IS THIS NORMAL FOR A FIRST MOLT??

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi Christy - welcome! This is totally normal - and, not to worry! They will grow back in. Oftetimes younger birds tend to be clumsy and don't realize they are supposed to look "beautiful" until they mature a bit. In the wild, feathering is one of the things a mate looks for - a bird with beautiful feathering. So, once she realizes she is supposed to look beautiful, she will take better care of her feathers. :)

Look forward to hearing more about her!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes dear it is totally normal...she might look like a duck butt for a while but before you know it she willbe flashing everyone with a fab new tail

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Hiya Christy.. :welcome: to The Avenue.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.