• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All about Happy

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Hello!

Ever since I got my Green cheek conure, Happy, he's been so cute!
Honestly, as a vet in training, with anxiety, I stress a lot about his well being. He's my little son- But, with all my studying, my time spent with him is low.

Though he enjoys the times I bring him out, snuggle him, and play/argue! I was just wondering; Is it common for a Conure not to like scratches? Happy sometimes tend to run away from my hand when I go to preen his feathers. And, even nips me when I go towards his cheeks and chest.

Happy is only 8 months, and I've only had him for maybe over 4 months. (Can't quite remember- But, it was sometime middle? last year.) Maybe I am moving to fast with him?

Thanks!
(Will also post other stuff about him on here.)

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Ellie doesn't like scratches or petting. I can hold her and have her be with me, but no cuddling. I hold her with my fingers on her back for warmth, that's it though.

Ellie is 10 months old.

I wonder if they may want scritches after they mature and are even more comfortable with the relationship.

Our relationship is still growing. I still find her doing new things weekly. Ellie is more active than wanting to cuddle.

I heard some conure are cuddly and some are not.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Fëanor, a lovie not a conure though, has never asked for stitches and never showed a tendency to cuddle against objects. I have never tried scritching him as I don’t want to push his bounderies. Henkie on the other, also a lovie, loves to cuddle. One of his favorite things is to cuddle up against my cheek. He does like scritches sometimes but prefers scritches wit my face:lol: IT could be Happy is just not a very cuddly bird:)

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Maybe! Though, he likes to snuggle up with my neck and under my hair. Happy also like to nuzzle my jawline. He also sometimes like head rubs!

Could be he's still new and a baby.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah could be too! Maybe he still does not trust your hand 100%? That is partly the case with Henkie, he got really sick and I had to hold him every day for medication, and then after that his feet were not working really well and if he sat on my finger he would loose his grip at the smallest motion. I have been working at teaching him that my hand is not scary again but it is not big priority though. But if your birdie is still new and such he might just need a little more time to let that scary spider hand scritch him:D

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Yeah! I think so-

But, another thing which is super funny- Happy doesn't get the point of swings!!
We have 1 in his cage, yet he'll hold onto the sides of it and tilts the swing. He has never tried standing on the perch for the swing. Happy much more likes to be on the side, or top of it!!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Crazy bird:rofl: Never heard of a bird doing that, super adorable:heart:

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
It is!! It makes us all laugh at it!

Happy also has a tent, and sometimes instead of being on his perch, this boy likes to lay/sit on the top of the tent!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I've had Duckie for about 8 years. It took her about 2 solid years of trust building for her to allow me to scritch/snuggle her. She allows me to now, but maybe only two to three times a month. It depends on your individual, and also how much time you spend building a relationship.

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
That is true. He's 8 months, and we've only had Happy for 4 months.
He did say his first words yesterday, though!! "Happy" and little kissy sounds.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It is!! It makes us all laugh at it!

Happy also has a tent, and sometimes instead of being on his perch, this boy likes to lay/sit on the top of the tent!
Our Harley used to do that. Her hut was near the side of the cage. She would hold the cage bars with one foot, recline against the side of the hut & tuck her other foot up and sleep like that! I wish I had kept the only picture I had of her doing it, but I had to zoom so far in that only I could figure out what it was supposed to be. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Hello y'all!! I've got a question for you! Happy is currently either 8 or 9 months.
But, he's been cooing at me and screeching whenever I leave. I'm unsure if he's maturing and thinks I am his mate?
Or just attached to me? It's interesting as this week his behavior has changed to lots of cooing, bobbing, and screeching at me!

Kristina M

Meeting neighbors
Hello there my GCC, Goose is also 8 months old. Goose is molting now and also maturing sexually. Lol, He doesn’t know if I’m his mom, girlfriend, or playmate??? *#@%*FRUSTRATING*%@#*
I’m thinking about adding another for company since I work. The only thing holding me back is fear of losing the great relationship I have now with Goose........

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I wish Lennerd would run away from me! :glowlol:

My hands have become his own personal chew toy. He is constantly trying to wrestle me. He is very gentle but it is hard to play video games and give Uchtred scatchies with a ornery green cheek attach to you.:laughing6:

IMG_1517953278656.jpg

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Haha! I wish Happy would let me give him scritches.
He is stubborn to head one- and bites whenever I leave his head to go to his cheeks.

:birdance: <-- Basically him when I am trying to scritch. The avoid dance!! Lol!

RosieR

Meeting neighbors
Our GCC Peat-Monster is brand new but he loves snuggles and will take scritches for hours. He is five months old and we have only had him for five days though, so we shall see if he still enjoys these things once the honeymoon period is over!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My Cheeky was never a cuddly baby. It wasn't a trust issue; I visited her while she was still being handfed and she was always pretty tame and comfortable being handled. She just decided she liked cuddling more as she got older. I noticed that sometimes when she was sleepy, she'd start to lean and gradually tip... it was only natural to put a hand around her if she sitting with me so she could take a nap.
Anyway, I think she got more cuddly over the first few years I had her. She's very, very snuggly now, although she generally doesn't like being petted or scritched. She puts up with some head scratches and tolerates most kinds of handling but doesn't really seem to enjoy it.

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Aa- Okay! He's been liking cuddles more.
Yet, we had people working over on our house. And, I have a strong feeling Happy has learned a bad word from them...

It's not really surprising as there's one common cuss word we spread- Yet, I did not want to teach Happy curses.
Confuses me as he wasn't to close to them, and even they weren't here for long! But, here's Happy!! Dropping a word that faintly sounds like the F-bomb.

Sigh...

frenchbook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mal
Well, hello everyone!!

So, I got Happy a friend! His name is Lovey, a pineapple green cheek!
It has also been confirmed Happy is female!!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations! Post some pictures soon:D