• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alfalfa in Pellets

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Hey guys, I’m a new owner of a young caique, and have started out feeding Roudybush, but also recently tried TOP’s pellets. Lucky for me, it eats both! But I would like to ask something regarding the ingredients.

Is alfalfa, being the main base ingredient, a concern? What are the experiences of those who have fed Top’s long term?

I can see a parrot eating corn and soy meal, as those are grains (even if they may not eat them in the wild), but I’m unsure about alfalfa.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Mizzely has extensively researched pellets. There is a thread of hers about pellets, but I can not find it right now. She may be able to help you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have the same concerns about alfalfa lol. So I really don't know. I know so many people hate on corn and soy, but I'm not sure that alfalfa is the best substitute. I'm sure they use it primarily because it is one of the very few vegan sources of Vitamin D3, but if I gave my birds a bowl each of corn, soy, and alfalfa, I'm not sure they would touch it ;)

Realistically it's probably fine; I know Roudybush has added some to their Pellets in recent years, and I trust them more. It doesn't make up the bulk of the pellet though.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Well I bought tops and it was a big fat no they prefer roubybush the gcc and indie Hagen

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another point to make though - animal bodies need nutrients; they don't usually care too much where those nutrients come from as long as it can be utilized. So while ingredients are one way to compare products, it's not the only way. So while I am personally not going to be buying TOPS anytime soon, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad food. I don't know enough either way about how digestible alfalfa is for birds.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
My Green Cheek conure has been eating TOPS for 16 years with no problems. I mix it with Harrison’s off and on and sometimes throw another pellet in there, such as Roudybush, but always TOPS. He also eats veggies, fruits, and chop mixes regularly. He’s just one little guy, but he’s in great health.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
My Green Cheek conure has been eating TOPS for 16 years with no problems. I mix it with Harrison’s off and on and sometimes throw another pellet in there, such as Roudybush, but always TOPS. He also eats veggies, fruits, and chop mixes regularly. He’s just one little guy, but he’s in great health.
And his feathers are amazing

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
Hi! How do you all feel about TOPS? Someone just told me that they don’t use it anymore - is there a good alternative that is somewhat like it, but superior? Thanks so so much!

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Hi! How do you all feel about TOPS? Someone just told me that they don’t use it anymore - is there a good alternative that is somewhat like it, but superior? Thanks so so much!
Oh did they mention why?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Did they say why and what they moved to instead?

When you say "superior" what are you looking for in a food? Everyone has different ideas about what they are wanting and what they need/want in a food!

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
Did they say why and what they moved to instead?

When you say "superior" what are you looking for in a food? Everyone has different ideas about what they are wanting and what they need/want in a food!
Hi! Well, she really did not give much of an answer, so that’s why I’m a little confused.

Yup! Everyone does have different ideas about foods! I’m looking for something similar to TOPS - I do a dry mixture of Tops, Harrison’s, Hagen Tropimix, and a little bit of food especially designed for Cape Parrots. She also gets fresh veggies, a little fruit and a bit of nut fats, as her species requires it). I know that she does pick at the TOPS, so I’m worried that she would miss it if I stopped giving it to her, but then I was nervous that maybe there was something out there that I had not read yet on TOPS not being okay for them… You know how information is constantly evolving when it comes to proper nutrition and husbandry of birds. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions that you may have!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi! Well, she really did not give much of an answer, so that’s why I’m a little confused.

Yup! Everyone does have different ideas about foods! I’m looking for something similar to TOPS - I do a dry mixture of Tops, Harrison’s, Hagen Tropimix, and a little bit of food especially designed for Cape Parrots. She also gets fresh veggies, a little fruit and a bit of nut fats, as her species requires it). I know that she does pick at the TOPS, so I’m worried that she would miss it if I stopped giving it to her, but then I was nervous that maybe there was something out there that I had not read yet on TOPS not being okay for them… You know how information is constantly evolving when it comes to proper nutrition and husbandry of birds. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions that you may have!
I don't see a reason to stop it, especially considering everything else you feed. There's nothing wrong with the food.